MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

119 years ago in 1900, the Simon distillery was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Mr Fjeld

Default Rhum Agricole and Vintages?

I was just wondering; do the distilleries at Martinique release "vintage rhum" every year or just "good years" - and if only in good years then of course the next question is what constitutes a good year?

I currently have an unopened J.M Rhum 1997 but I'm wondering if I should buy the 1992 as well. It's a bit expensive but I've read it's even better than the 1997. Sometime ago I finished the best rum I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying - the Trois Rivieres 1997
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Vintage rhums from Martinique aren't generally labeled as such every year. There were a lot of these labeled 1979, which as you might recall was a very bad year for the economy, but it was a good year for rhum production on Martinique. So there was an overabundance of rhum and a shortage of buyers. By labeling the rhum a vintage year, and raising the price, distillers were able to recoup some of their losses down the road.

I have a several old vintages of Martinique rhum but the important thing to remember is that most aren't aged more than 4 or 6 years unless they are labeled as such. On some of these bottles there is a date code on the closure.

I've seen old Martinique rhums priced at more than $3000, not that they were selling, but priced so because they can't be replaced. As distillers make changes to their still, or the companies are bought out, there are inevitable changes in the product, but older isn't always better. I'm holding on to my unopened bottles of old rhum for a day when I need the money and the price is right to sell.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
The Rum Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I'm holding on to my unopened bottles of old rhum for a day when I need the money and the price is right to sell.
I'll buy a couple off of you if you're selling ?

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Mr Fjeld

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Vintage rhums from Martinique aren't generally labeled as such every year. There were a lot of these labeled 1979, which as you might recall was a very bad year for the economy, but it was a good year for rhum production on Martinique. So there was an overabundance of rhum and a shortage of buyers. By labeling the rhum a vintage year, and raising the price, distillers were able to recoup some of their losses down the road.

I have a several old vintages of Martinique rhum but the important thing to remember is that most aren't aged more than 4 or 6 years unless they are labeled as such. On some of these bottles there is a date code on the closure.

I've seen old Martinique rhums priced at more than $3000, not that they were selling, but priced so because they can't be replaced. As distillers make changes to their still, or the companies are bought out, there are inevitable changes in the product, but older isn't always better. I'm holding on to my unopened bottles of old rhum for a day when I need the money and the price is right to sell.
Great, thanks for the information! So those old vintages can be quite pricey then - but it doesn't necessarily correspond with quality? So, vintages could be a good investment then - maybe buy to sell and finance later purchases - or keep one sell one. I'm all for drinking though. Thanks for the reply, this is a great forum and I hope I'll spend more time here in the future

Cheers!
Christian
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Hank Koestner

Ed, once again has put it all in perspective. I have purchased some vintage agricoles while down in the Islands, because I tasted them and the price was good. It is the actual age of the rum that is important. The TR 1996 was much less expensive than some of the offerings that were aged 10 years, according to the labels.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Mr Fjeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Ed, once again has put it all in perspective. I have purchased some vintage agricoles while down in the Islands, because I tasted them and the price was good. It is the actual age of the rum that is important. The TR 1996 was much less expensive than some of the offerings that were aged 10 years, according to the labels.
What you and Ed says makes sense. I just checked the prices of Trois Rivieres 1997 and the 8 year old variety on sale in Norway - and the vintage is the cheaper one. Still, I love it. Have you tried the 8yo?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Hank Koestner

No, I did not try the 8. As I remember I dont think an 8 was available.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole