MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

106 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
M.R.J.
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

Default Different stills that are used?

Dear Mr. Canto,

I am wondering if you could tell me are all the different famous Guyanese stills that are often mentioned still used for rum production in the 21st century?

By famous stills I am referring to pot and column stills that bear the name of the old estate they originated from - Enmore, Versailles, Uitvlugt, Port Morant, Skeldon, La Bonne, to mention those known to me. I sincerely hope that all of these historical still are with us and used in production today.

Sir, I would also like to add that indeed as someone already suggested on this forum, releasing single cask/single still rums at cask strength might be something to consider for Demerara Distillers. Albeit being a big fan of your 21-year old rum, I do hunt single barrel / single still releases of Demerara rum from a number of independent bottlers, and such releases are often the most interesting in variety of flavour and style. This may be a niche market for true connoisseurs but such special releases strenghten the brand I think.

Releasing single barrel, single distillery products that are cask strength and not filtered has been a fairly common practice already for a decade or more. Independent Italian and UK bottlers have done the same with rums, and their bottlings can be truly stunning. The last bottle of Demerara I bought was an Italian independently bottled Port Morant, and having tasted this I can only say that my personal appreciation of Guyanese rums elevated to a whole new level.

Sincerely,

M.R.J.
M.R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
M.R.J.

Oh well, after more than 6 months I guess it is safe to assume Mr. Canto no longer reads this forum - a real pity.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
rum bluff

In the states we see European sites with many of these independent bottlers and have not a clue as to which of the half dozen or so are the winners. With your EU prices and shipping its hard to experiment. If you've got a couple favorites please share and I'll help the Eu economy.
Thanks,
Tom
rum bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Without presuming to speak on behalf of Karl Kanto, DDL operate 9 different stills that bear the old distillery names. Most of them are available in Europe as 'cask strength' bottlings. They love them in Italy particularly. There are also 3 El Dorado single barrel bottlings of each of the 3 wooden stills.

If you're interested the 9 stills are;

Double wooden pot
Single wooden pot
Wooden coffey
Copper pot
Copper column
& 4 Savalle stills (fancy name for a column still with adjustable plates)

Tiare wrote a very detailed and fascinating breakdown of the DDL operation on her blog if you're interested.

Hope this helps chief
Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
rum bluff

oh how right you are! Tiare has done a great job of occuping my afternoon.

Thank Again,
Tom
rum bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
M.R.J.

I can recommend quite highly the Cadenhead's Green Label 25yo Demerara, this I have tasted and it is a mountain of flavours in a good way!!

Cadenhead's Green Label Demerara review

Only thing is, the batches may vary in flavour - caveat emptor..still, I doubt they would release a bad one.

There is another very nice Demerara from Bristol Spirits, a 17yo Port Morant, portwood finished. Bristol Spirits Port Morant
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.J. View Post
I can recommend quite highly the Cadenhead's Green Label 25yo Demerara, this I have tasted and it is a mountain of flavours in a good way!!

Cadenhead's Green Label Demerara review

Only thing is, the batches may vary in flavour - caveat emptor..still, I doubt they would release a bad one.

There is another very nice Demerara from Bristol Spirits, a 17yo Port Morant, portwood finished. Bristol Spirits Port Morant
This one has caught my eye for awhile MRJ, does anybody know if the bristol rum is aged in scotland or in the caribbean? Makes a big difference when you look at the angel's share.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
M.R.J.

The Bristol Spirits rums for the most part are aged in cellars in Bristol, but to my understanding at least some of the more recent Caroni bottlings are actually aged in the Caribbean, not in UK. (Proud to say I did some minor background work on helping to get the old Trinidadian Caroni rums some final glory and exposure through such small batch bottlings!!)

This website Bristol Spirits new rums will show you the current selections, some of the older bottlings can still be found in the shops also on occasion.

I really can recommend this Port Morant as a very fine expression of Demerara.

Last edited by M.R.J.; 02-02-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
JMac

Hi MRJ...have you tried some of the Caroni bottlings? They piqued my interest but due to the conversation rate of Euros to CDN dollars...I would like to hear some recommendations first.....
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
RonJames

Thanks MRJ, I'm going to have to dive in, you've peaked my interest. The Caroni plant in trini was that the one that burned down? I've been really sick over the weekend and my head feels like Michael Phelp's right now.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers