MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

130 years ago in 1889, the Bundaberg Distillery was established in Queensland, Australia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default El Dorado Deluxe Silver 6 yr old white rum

I received a bottle of this rum today after hearing about last night in the Appleton Reserve chat. It's only sold in Ontario at the LCBO for now, so don't ask me where you can buy it.

I'll be taking a picture of the bottle and posting it tomorrow. If I can sort it out I'll be doing a short video tasting online and will post details like the time, etc. as soon as I have it sorted out.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
RonJames

sounds like a treat, for the tongue and the eyes on this site
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Patapouf

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. The 3 year is my favorite white. I can only imagine this one. I should ask my mom to bring me one from Ontarion the next time she comes in NB.
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I have to admit my skepticism. I like the ED 3 yr white, as well as the Flor de Cana 4 yr dry white. To me these are excellent rums where the charcoal filtering took that last bit of rough edge off the rum but enough flavour remained to make them really nice.

At six years, the flavour from the barrel aging should already be very smooth and I really wonder what the point of filtering the rum to a clear colour would be. At this point I think rather than any rough edges being taken off, a serious dent in the taste must also occur.

I am probably wrong, as El Dorado has proven in the past to be capable of seriously delighting me, but I remember my first taste of the Diplomatico blanco. (I was told by the rep it was 12 years old) After tasting it my impression was, why would you take a superior product like the 12 year old Diplomatico and then filter most of that wonderful taste away?

I can't help but think I may have the same reaction to the El Dorado 6 white.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here's a bottle shot I took this morning.

I'm as skeptical as you are Arctic Wolf, but I'll be opening it over the weekend live on ustream.tv. There's no special access to see it and I'll post a link as soon as the details are worked out. Unfortunately, I've got to take care of some of business this afternoon.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Deluxe...
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
chrism76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Here's a bottle shot I took this morning.

I'm as skeptical as you are Arctic Wolf, but I'll be opening it over the weekend live on ustream.tv. There's no special access to see it and I'll post a link as soon as the details are worked out. Unfortunately, I've got to take care of some of business this afternoon.
I realize this was done a long while ago but what a great idea!

Live feed of opening and tasting a bottle of rum.. Awesome idea.

Let me know if you have one coming.. I'd surely like to see that!
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
I have to admit my skepticism. I like the ED 3 yr white, as well as the Flor de Cana 4 yr dry white. To me these are excellent rums where the charcoal filtering took that last bit of rough edge off the rum but enough flavour remained to make them really nice.

At six years, the flavour from the barrel aging should already be very smooth and I really wonder what the point of filtering the rum to a clear colour would be. At this point I think rather than any rough edges being taken off, a serious dent in the taste must also occur.

I am probably wrong, as El Dorado has proven in the past to be capable of seriously delighting me, but I remember my first taste of the Diplomatico blanco. (I was told by the rep it was 12 years old) After tasting it my impression was, why would you take a superior product like the 12 year old Diplomatico and then filter most of that wonderful taste away?

I can't help but think I may have the same reaction to the El Dorado 6 white.
Interesting point. So are you saying then by default white rums have a limit as to how old they can be. That is, one wouldn't take a 7+ aged rum and filter it because it just will not taste good?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

It's not that a 7 year old white rum wouldn't be any good, but rather that there is a diminishing return when you filter a rum that has aged so long.
Carbon filtering makes sense for younger aged rums, but since you loose so much flavor when you carbon filter to remove the color, at some point you're not making the rum better but simply aging it longer.

On the other hand, I've read about white rums that were aged ten or more years, a claim that has never been confirmed by any distiller.
Ministry of Rum

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina1914 View Post
Interesting point. So are you saying then by default white rums have a limit as to how old they can be. That is, one wouldn't take a 6+ aged rum and filter it because it just will not taste good?
I think I was hinting that there must have been a reason why El Dorado, (or anyone else) would filter a rum of 6+ years. Filtering a quality aged rum makes no sense economically.

Thus for this to make economic sense the 6+ year old rum must have had less value than the resulting white. Given everybody's (well almost everybody's) perceived lack of value in a white rum, the situation in my mind must be dire to make the rum company want to incur extra expense to produce what will be perceived as a lower value product.

Maybe there is too much aged rum in the pipeline and over production is being filtered for a new potential market, or maybe somebody screwed up a blend.

I noticed and posted my impression of a new white aged whisky that has just appeared in the marketplace. These whites seem to be coming online right after everyone ramped up production to take advantage of the larger demand for premium spirits. Maybe a miscalculation in the growth of this demand is the cause of all of these new 'premium' white spirits.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums