MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

47 years ago in 1972, formerly known as Gilbeys (Mauritius) Ltd, was incorporated in Mauritius.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #41
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Bacardi 8 is a bit confusing as the don't actually say that it is 8 years old on the label, in English, according to the US labeling regulations. On the other hand, it is the best value in the whole Bacardi lineup. A bit thin or lacking a bit of depth, as noted above, but considering the price it certainly deserves a taste. I commonly see Bacardi 8 for about $20 around the US. So what other rums in that price range do you think compete with this one?
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #42
StephenLouis

Here it is just shy of 30.00 So it has a fair bit of competition at that price.

I have to reiterate the nose is amazing the taste well above average, it is just as a you have said, and I completely agree: the lack of body that drops it below say a Eldorado 12 year old. It ( Bacardi 8) reminds me of Diplomatico Reseva, but with more flavour and balance and a bit less body.

Here at 20? None. 20 gets you a "micky" of garbage because good rums are not sold in that size here as far as I know.
StephenLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #43
chrism76

Excuse my intrusiion but by body.. what do you guys mean?

When the Rum is sitting in your mouth that you feel there's some weight to it?

or

While swallowing you feel there's weight (mass) as it leaves your mouth down your throat?

or does it mean something else?
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #44
StephenLouis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism76 View Post
Excuse my intrusiion but by body.. what do you guys mean?

When the Rum is sitting in your mouth that you feel there's some weight to it?

or

While swallowing you feel there's weight (mass) as it leaves your mouth down your throat?

or does it mean something else?
It means the "feel" words like rich,creamy, full, light, slick, oily thin, reedy. It is the weighty feeling of the rum, not the mass. For example hot chocolate would have more body then hot water. Maple syrup more body then sugar water, then you would try to define that body with descriptive words.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #45
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

On the Bacardi website the company makes the following statement:

BACARDI 8 is aged for more than eight years in carefully selected oak barrels. After ageing it is blended to perfection featuring notes of prunes, apricots, nutmeg and vanilla over a clean woody background of oak. Its taste is smooth, rich and very full with a long and expansive finish.

I consider this to be a very clear statement concerning the age of the Rum. Although the bottle (in Canada) is labeled in a confusing mix of English, Spanish and French. The Spanish portion of the label says:

Ron 8 Anos

Which translates as Rum 8 Years.

When I take both the website statement and the bottle label into consideration my take on this rum is that the rum is aged a minimum of 8 years.

I do not let the low price dissuade me from this interpretation. In Canada,aging our whisky is an expensive proposition compared to elsewhere. (Everything has to be aged in temperature controlled warehouses where in the same year have to cope with temperatures as high as 100 Fahrenheit and as low as minus 40 Fahrenheit and in the same day may have to cope with temperature swings of half that magnitude.) Yet I can buy a bottle of 8 year Old Canadian Whisky for a much lower price than the Bacardi 8. In fact I can buy 25 year old whisky for the same price.

I have said it before, aging spirits is not expensive.

The companies complain about the Angels share lost in the Caribbean, but when I see prices for 2 year old rum on the Islands for less than 8 dollars a bottle, even if half of the volume is lost to the Angels during aging, that portion of the cost of aging would only increase the bottle price by 8 bucks.

A price of 20 bucks a bottle for 8 year old rum seems consistent with a mass produced column distilled spirit.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #46
Rutherford H Mountbatten

A price of any spirit is going to be related to two factors: The cost of production, and what they can charge for it. I have to say that I'm highly interested in the 25 y/o Canadian rye, and will have to pick up a bottle if I'm up there soon.

Some math... Assuming that the liquid in a barrel loses a certain percentage of its volume each year, the fraction of remaining spirit in the barrel is calculated using the following equation:

FS=(1-AS)^T
FS=fraction of spirit remaining
AS=fraction which evaporates each year
T=time in years

With 8 years at 8% evaporation, we have about 60% of the spirit remaining. Based on my research, this is about right for most rums... Flor de Caña, Ron Zacapa and a few others probably evaporate more slowly from their mountain warehouses, while something like Ron Abuelo or El Dorado will evaporate more quickly.

At 25 years with 2% evaporation (I understand this is what many scotches can expect), we have... a little bit more than 60% of the spirit remaining.

Yes, there are other costs associated (barrel maintenance, shipping rums from afar, scarcity/demand of the beverage, effort put into blending, warehouse building, maintenance and heating/cooling), but it seems about right to me that 25 year-old Canadian Whiskey would cost about the same as 8-y/o rum, demand notwithstanding.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #47
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford H Mountbatten View Post
A price of any spirit is going to be related to two factors: The cost of production, and what they can charge for it. I have to say that I'm highly interested in the 25 y/o Canadian rye, and will have to pick up a bottle if I'm up there soon.
The bottle I picked up (actually 4 of them) was the Alberta Premium 25 year Old for $28.67 per bottle and I grabbed them 3 weeks ago. (I hope you can find some north of Wisconsin RHM). At the same store I saw the the Bacardi 8 priced for for $32.95.

I know enough about the tax regime here to know that about $13.50 of the Bacardi Price was taxes and excise and most distributors quote me an additional fee they must pay of any where from 3 to 5 dollars per bottle for warehouse fees at AGLC. (Taking the Tax and the warehouse into account the 20.00 per bottle people are quoting for Bacardi 8 in tax friendly states of the US seems bang on.)

Of course, my point in the previous post was not so much to compare pricing of Canadian Whisky to Rum it was to make the point that just because Bacardi 8 is inexpensive (I.E. about $20.00) is no reason to draw the conclusion that it cannot be 8 years old, and I think, if I read RHM's posting correctly, he agrees with at least the logic of my argument.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
Rutherford H Mountbatten

Yes, I'd agree with that all.

Based on other rum producers, I think I would expect that cost. Barbancourt 5 star and FDC 7 are both pretty cheap and in that age range too. I was just trying to make the point that the actual cost of aging rum would be more than almost any other spirit due to the climates in which they're aged.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #49
StephenLouis

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmont View Post
I was going to buy some, but it was $25 at the liquor store, and I figured I could do better for the money.

Maybe when it's on sale...
It jumped to 33.00 here and just fell of my "daily possibility rum"
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #50
doubleT

In my school days we often encountered Bacardi at parties. Of course that was the cheap white stuff, but back in these days I said that I'd never drink Bacardi again as it only tasted like industry alcohol thinned down.
Years later I spoke to a photographer who had a job at the Bacardi place in Hamburg, Germany. According to him, the rum is shipped over to Europe in a huge tanker, pumped into the tanks via pipeline from the harbour and then thinned down here. O_o

It's nice to see that they seem to have real rum, too and I think I might have to try the 8yo and see if I judged Bacardi unjustly in general.
A bottle seems to cost around 20 EUR (US $27). Havana Club 7 costs the same.

Off Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave6 View Post
I too used to shy away from Bacardi, liking it to the Budweiser of the rum world.
Woah, carefull there! I'd try the real Czech Budweiser Budvar before you say that – but I guess you mean the Anheuser Busch &$§% anway.
doubleT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums