MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
smedley61

Default Info about Atlantico Platino ?

Greetings,

Have not posted in a while, glad to be back !
(Always get rum-on-the-brain during and immediately after trips to
Carribean....)

Recently got a bottle of Atlantico Platino (at the VA ABC store...) after trying to decide between that one and Brugal Ron Blanco at the St. Thomas duty free, but buying neither.

After buying, I consulted The Ministry and was surprised to not see any
listing of this Atlantico product. The producer is listed as 'Atlantico Importing Co.', Miami, FL. There are references to the Dominican Republic all over the bottle and (slick) website, but no clue as to who or what company actually makes the stuff. Also lots of references to the rum being 'artisinal',
'handmade', and the producer being partially owned by Enrique Iglesias.

After sampling, I feel it is an excellent product for the price ($19.95 for 750ml at the ABC store)--smooth with strong vanilla and less strong citrus and coconut flavors.
It worked well in a daiquiri and mojito, as well as straight on the rocks with
lime.

I found it interesting that it is made via the solera method like their (and others') more aged rum--younger barrels are blended and the the colors are filtered out to yield a clear spirit--do any other producers make a white rum via this process (as opposed to just short aging that only imparts a bit of color, eg, Cruzan Light) ? I suppose this more elaborate process is what yield its
more complex flavor profile and smoothness.

TIA !
smedley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Atlantico rum is a private label produced by Oliver & Oliver in the Dominican Republic who blend rums they have purchased from other islands.

There are several companies who produce "aged white rum" and charcoal filter the colour (and flavour) out. One aged white rum that comes immediately to mind is Diplomatico Blanco. Most commercial rums would go through some kind of filtration process.

P.S. I'd take it with a grain of salt when brands use the words "artisanal" and "handmade."
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
smedley61

[QUOTE=Count Silvio;53182]Atlantico rum is a private label produced by Oliver & Oliver in the Dominican Republic who blend rums they have purchased from other islands.

Thanks for the explanation. The aging/filtration process certainly makes for a more flavorful white rum (than, eg, Bacardi Silver....), which in gives a bit more depth to cocktails that call for this type (mojito,daiquiri, etc.). The vanilla and coconut flavors compliment the lime very well.

As judged by the website, there is a lot of marketing hype for this brand, but I suppose the fact that O & O is custom blending for a private label allows them (barely) to say the finished products are 'handcrafted' and 'artisinal'.

What about other 'aged' white rums like, eg, Cruzan White ? Isn't this just aged for a year or two before bottling ? Also, since it is not perfectly clear, is it not
filtered (or filtered less ) ?

Speaking of Cruzan, I finally got a chance to see the distillery in St. Croix
last year, and was (pleasantly) surprised to see how 'old school' (read old) the faciliity was. This was in direct contrast to the Capt. Morgan plant up the road.
Also, for the relatively nominal tour fee, Cruzan allowed healthy samplings of their products in both cocktails and well as on their own.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Count Silvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley61 View Post
As judged by the website, there is a lot of marketing hype for this brand, but I suppose the fact that O & O is custom blending for a private label allows them (barely) to say the finished products are 'handcrafted' and 'artisinal'.
Artisanal and handcrafted can be twisted to suit the context in many ways but when a company produces dozens and dozens of private labels it quickly becomes a very commercial process. I.E. change a bit of this and a bit of that and you've got a new private label. What this and that are I'll leave for everyone else to guess

Quote:
Also, since it is not perfectly clear, is it not
filtered (or filtered less ) ?
Some rums are not filtered as much as others or filtered at all and some producers use different methods of filtration. Colour is not always an indication of filtration or of unfiltered products as many producers use caramel colouring afterwards to adjust the appearance. But definitely if the product is crystal and claims to be aged more than a couple of years.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
smedley61

"...as many producers use caramel colouring afterwards to adjust the appearance."

This is (one) of the reasons I try to avoid rail/bottom shelf brands.
However, is it also added to high(er) quality brands ? (e.g., some of the types
I have at home: Matusalem 15yr solera, Appleton Estate 12 yr, Angostura Royal Oak--for making Trader Vic's 'Siegert's Bouquet Cocktail' ,
Havana Club 7yr--not much left of that one....)

Regardless of the production or marketing details, I do like the Atlantico Platino.

Thanks again for the info !
Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Count Silvio

Quote:
"...as many producers use caramel colouring afterwards to adjust the appearance."

This is (one) of the reasons I try to avoid rail/bottom shelf brands.
However, is it also added to high(er) quality brands ? (e.g., some of the types
I have at home: Matusalem 15yr solera, Appleton Estate 12 yr, Angostura Royal Oak--for making Trader Vic's 'Siegert's Bouquet Cocktail' ,
Havana Club 7yr--not much left of that one....)

Regardless of the production or marketing details, I do like the Atlantico Platino.

Thanks again for the info !
Caramel is generally just used for adjusting the colour to keep it consistent from year to year, otherwise each batch would be different colour. Unless used excessively like in dark rums it wont have a negative effect on the flavour.

I would say Matusalem (another Oliver & Oliver product btw), Appleton, Angostura and Havana 7 would most definitely use caramel to adjust the colour. Either way, caramel is the least of the problems when compared to what other stuff is used in certain products...

If you want to find rums with no colouring I'd suggest searching for rums from Samaroli, Mezan and potentially some of the Cadenheads, Berry Bros and Bristol Classic rums. Not a 100% if any caramel goes into the last three but you can rest assured they're real rum.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
mamajuana

I finally picked up a bottle of this today as only one small store in the city carries it around here. There were only a few left, after being on the shelve for quite a long time, and I doubt it will be reordered so I grabbed one.

One thing to note here is that Platino is aged part from cane juice the other part is molasses. It is aged in 2 different barrels then mixed. The platino does not include any solera aging like the 2 older dark rums. Platino is simply barrel aged 1-2 years.

The final note I have here to consider is that Platino ferments Aguardiente with either the cane juice, molasses or both. This is different than the 2 older dark rums these 2 rums are fermented, aged, barreled twice then put into solera system; and then after aging for some reason mixed with unaged Aguardiente before bottling. This in some way clearly adds flavor to this rum based on what the Aguardiente is made with which could be from what I have researched nearly anything. So upfront this rum is adding flavoring and otherwise modifying its profile using Aguardiente.

I tested this spirit neat as I always do. It is also recommended neat by the producer. The nosing was rather light to my surprise. No harshness and I moved across the glass from the top to the bottom I had several different scents from a very slight dried fruit to a moderate vanilla it was hard to detect anything to be honest due to the lightness of the overall scent.

The taste does not offer much more to be honest. The main note I get is Vanilla. It starts out rather tasteless then moves to a moderate vanilla middle to a slight alcohol taste going down. There is no burn to this rum it goes down and leaves the palate shortly from entering.

This is a rum I would probably not purchase again at its price point which is fairly stable at around 19.99 a bottle. I much prefer the bacardi 1909 limited heritage edition at a lower price for a white rum and a much more flavorful unedited kick which actually tastes like rum.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Over the past four years or so, I've read a number of different descriptions of what goes into this and the other Atlantico rums. I tend not to discount most marketing press releases as to processes but prefer to talk to the brand owners, or better yet, the distiller and blender.

I never cease to be amused how the story changes as brands develop. Sometimes the process has changed other times, the marketing strategy changes in response to the market reaction - sales.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Silvio View Post
If you want to find rums with no colouring I'd suggest searching for rums from Samaroli, Mezan and potentially some of the Cadenheads, Berry Bros and Bristol Classic rums. Not a 100% if any caramel goes into the last three but you can rest assured they're real rum.
I have a couple of Samaroli rums that were definitely colored/coloured, unless I'm completely blind.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Recently got a bottle of Atlantico Platino (at the VA ABC store...) ...

After buying, I consulted The Ministry and was surprised to not see any
listing of this Atlantico product. The producer is listed as 'Atlantico Importing Co.', Miami, FL. There are references to the Dominican Republic all over the bottle and (slick) website, but no clue as to who or what company actually makes the stuff. Also lots of references to the rum being 'artisinal',
'handmade', and the producer being partially owned by Enrique Iglesias.
I don't generally add rums to this database until I can confirm at least some details of production. I can confirm that Enrique Iglesias has an interest in the brand but not the distilleries that produce the juice that goes into this bottle.

I'm working on an update to the database that would note confirmed or unconfirmed information about the various rums on this site. I'm also working to make it easier for brands to add their products to this site while maintaining the integrity of the information found here.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions