MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

158 years ago in 1862, Barbancourt was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Scubakevdm

Default Renegade Trinidad Angostura 1991

I'm a rum guy, but not learned. I just found this forum while looking for information about Renegade Trinidad Angostura, which I had already purchased on a whim. After doing a bit of reading on the net, I am a bit dubious. At any rate, as I sit here at my keyboard I await the knocking of the FedEx guy and my purchase. It is my intention to taste it immediately and report back in layman's terms my Renegade experience.
I am concerned though after determining that this rum (or at least the pre-recanted product) is produced by the makers of The Kraken, which I was thoroughly put off by. I am worried that I have become a marketing mark. The truth shall be revealed!

Last edited by Scubakevdm; 07-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Scubakevdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Scubakevdm

Well, that didn't take long.
I'm back... after having a taste neat, I offer these observations along with a disclaimer. I am a huge rum fan, not an expert though. I've read some of the write ups and noticed the tasting points that were mentioned, but I'm not sure if I have either the experience with rum tasting, or a refined enough palette to write anything meaningful, so I won't pretend. My absolute favorite rum so far is Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, which delighted even my unenlightened senses, and so it is the standard that I use to compare all rums to so far. I have noted that on this board there are some ubiquitous favorites with which I have no experience with, however I intend to remedy that post haste. So for now, the layman's thoughts on Renegade Trinidad:

The bottle looks interesting enough, clear frosted glass, sort of a modern swept shape to it. I don't care much about bottles though. It has a plastic topped cork stopper for what it's worth. I guess I care about the cork.

The color is a deep reddish amber. It seemed to have medium thickness in the glass, thin legs developed on the sides of the glass.

It smelled mostly like rum, a little fruitiness along with a fairly strong sherry-like aftersmell. I was a bit disappointed, not so much by the potency of the sherry smell, but by the lack of complexity of the rum smell.

In the mouth, it did seem to thicken. I'm gonna pour another taste though before I continue in order to offer a very fresh perspective. It has a quality that I guess could be described as being bright and and aftertaste that seems slightly acrid. The sherry taste lingers, but is not overwhelming. It's alright. I don't think it tastes bad, but absent is the tasty line of surprises that materialize from a mouthful of Diplomatico. Sipping Diplomatico, to me is kind of like watching fireworks there's a procession of flavor. The Renegade, it tastes like rum. Like good rum, but not really any bonus taste activity going on.

In the throat, it is smooth and warm. The warmth is moderately pervasive, spreading to the chest and my tongue and lips tingle.

All in all, I think it's good. I wouldn't have spent $110.00 on it though. Maybe $45-$50. Probably good party fare for close friends. I am open to sharing this with any nearby rum cronies, especially if they bring something to help broaden my rum horizons. I will be replacing my freshly depleted Diplomatico, and I think I'll try to tackle a bottle of El Dorado, which seems to be well received around here, but what has really peaked my interest is Havana Club 15. It seems to be right up my alley, save for the enormous price tag and the possibility of legal action being taken against me. I'm told Toronto is lovely this time of year though.

Last edited by Scubakevdm; 07-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Scubakevdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Rutherford H Mountbatten

I found their 1912 far too clean and thin (boring) for its age and price. Rum lines Abuelo, Flor de Caña or El Dorado deliver much more flavor to the mouth.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
mithril

This obviously an old thread, but it's worth noting that Renegade Rum is a by-product of Bruichladdich buying rum casks for us in their whisky finishing program. They choose to also buy the raw spirit in the casks then emptied the rum out and aged it in Scotland as they would whisky. Thus all the Renegades are sort of a cross-over between rum and scotch and will therefore all have a very different character than the same rum aged at the actual rum distillery.
mithril is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums