MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Who would you like to meet?
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Who would you like to meet?

In the coming months registered members will be able to post questions to the people responsible for the rums we enjoy. Who would you like to meet?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #61
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
Even XM is distilled at Diamond, and then aged and bottled by Banks/DIH at Thirst Park, just outside Georgetown.
Yes, i have seen that on my bottle.

Thanks for the info! i`ve read many contrasting things about these rums. I guess these things are quite mixed up sometimes.

Quote:
I was in Guyana in March and would have liked to visit the Diamond distillery, but it was closed for maintenance.
What a pity it was closed when you were there!

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 05-08-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #62
El Dorado

Quote:
Tiare,

I think I can be of some assistance regarding Uitvlugt and Port Mourant.

At one time every sugar factory in Guyana had its own distillery, and there were lots of these. The Uitvlugt distillery was in Uitvlugt, West Coast Demerara (about 10 miles or 16 kilometres west of Georgetown), while the Port Mourant distillery was in Port Mourant, Corentyne, Berbice (about 90 miles or 144 kilometres south-east of Georgetown). So strictly speaking the Port Mourant rum isn't a Demerara rum but a Berbice rum, Berbice being the county to the east of Demerara.

It isn't quite as complicated as I'm making it sound.

Basically, these names are simply the geographical locations of where the distilleries used to be. Apart from Uitvlugt and Port Mourant, you might be able to find Enmore, Albion, Blairmont, Skeldon and if you're very lucky Rose Hall.

Now, there's just one distillery left - Diamond, East Bank Demerara - and all Demerara rum is distilled here. Even XM is distilled at Diamond, and then aged and bottled by Banks/DIH at Thirst Park, just outside Georgetown.

I was in Guyana in March and would have liked to visit the Diamond distillery, but it was closed for maintenance.
Thanks Berbician. Your info is correct. Going back in history there were a number of sugar factories in Guyana spanning from the Essequibo coast to the Berbice coast - almost 300 at one time. To each of these sugar factory was attached a distillery which would utilise the byproduct from the factory - molasses. Each of these distilleries produced a unique rum that was identified to the estate by its identity mark, for example ICBU to Uitvlugt, EHP to Enmore, An to Albion, PM to Port Mourant, LBI to La Bonne Intention, SWR to Skeldon to name a few. With time due to change in ownership, economic constraints and other factors, the sugar estates were consolidated and so did the distilleries. The unique thing about our operation in Guyana is that even with consolidation the important marks were maintained - either the identical mark was produced by moving the original still to the new location or by producing it on an existing still on the new location. What you would find is that even though the original distilleries are closed, the identical marks are produced at the existing distillery at Diamond. We are the only distillery in the world that has maintained quality and tradition, that is identical marks and original stills - wooden stills. This is what has made our rums so distinct as compared to others.
El Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #63
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Thank you! I can see where the environment could be a major factor. How long are your fermentation times? Do you vary the the fermentation times to achieve different levels of aroma and flavor?
Our fermentation process takes about 24 to 26 hours for completion.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #64
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Do you use said barrels more than once?
According to our barrel policy, barrels are used for a maximum of 4 times or 25 years whichever comes first.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #65
El Dorado

Quote:
Now, there's just one distillery left - Diamond, East Bank Demerara - and all Demerara rum is distilled here. Even XM is distilled at Diamond, and then aged and bottled by Banks/DIH at Thirst Park, just outside Georgetown.
Please note that we are the only distillers in Guyana. Banks/DIH is a blender. Any rum that is refered to as Demerara rum MUST be distilled in Guyana in the county of Demerara.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #66
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
Going back in history there were a number of sugar factories in Guyana spanning from the Essequibo coast to the Berbice coast - almost 300 at one time.
I find this so incredibly fascinating..imagine there were almost 300..imagine the rums! we are lucky today that thereґs one left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
We are the only distillery in the world that has maintained quality and tradition, that is identical marks and original stills - wooden stills. This is what has made our rums so distinct as compared to others.
It really is distinct, no doubt about that. Its the best rums i`ve tasted.
I really would like to see those wooden stills.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #67
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
I really would like to see those wooden stills.
You are most welcome. Take a trip to the land of El Dorado - we offer you LIQUID GOLD
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #68
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I would like to see the stills as well. A trip to the golden city does sound tempting but I'm afraid it is out of my price league. I will just have to enjoy the 15 year old liquid gold over here and perhaps one day I shall indulge in the fine pleasures of the 21 year old liquid gold.

I am interested in the story behind the name El Dorado. Was it always clear the rum would be named El Dorado or were there any alternative names suggested?
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #69
krustykrab

Default ED 12 bottles

Hello and thank you so much for participating in this forum!! It is incredibly fascinating to have you here!

I have noticed that there are 2 different ED 12 bottle out there a tall, more traditional one, and a shorter, squatter one similar to your others - is there any difference in the blends, or did you just change bottles?

thanks!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #70
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Are you perhaps refering to the King of Diamonds bottle?
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Who would you like to meet?