MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

57 years ago in 1963, Ron Montero S.L. was established in Spain.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Stamina1914

Default Has anyone tasted the new cruzan bottle rum..

Is it me or is this rum even better. I have a bottle of the 2 year old dark and boy does it go down smooth. I mean it is now a sippable rum even with out ice.

Has anyone experience the same thing I have or is it just me?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Are you saying a new 2 year old dark? The new dark is 14 months old.

The two year old dark had quite a good reputation. If you can still find, it grab it. I am hoarding 1.75 liter bottles when I find them.

I recently found two 750ml bottles of Estate Diamond 5 for $18 each in Key West. Most of that stock is long gone. That's a great sipper for the price.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
primate77

Still 10 to 12 bottles of the Estate Diamond 5 year old on the shelf at my local outlet (as well as four of the five bottles of Guat Zaya they have had) still there.

I guess corn country is not rum drinker country??? Too bad! That means I can pretty much take my time purchasing them as I need them.
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
I recently found two 750ml bottles of Estate Diamond 5 for $18 each in Key West. Most of that stock is long gone. That's a great sipper for the price.
I've got 3 unopened bottles of that stashed away. I'm debating whether or not to pick up one more.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
bluewave6

I tried one of the Cruzan Dark with the new bottle and label and it had listed on the label that it is aged a min of 2 years, but I guess that has changed again with the sale of Cruzan. The 2yr in the new bottle that I had was quite good I compared with the older 2yr and also found it considerably smoother. Have not tried the newer 14 month version.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Stamina1914

As far as I am concerned, it was only the Cruzan light that went from the 2 years old down to 14 months. As a matter of fact the new bottles actually state 1 year now.

However, I do not think Cruzan ever had plans to change the dark rum to 14 months. The new bottling package that came out 2-3 months ago, state that the dark rum is 2years old. As far as I know, All the Cruzan dark rums from the the ones that specifically mention 2 years, to the new labeling with the small star that replaced 2 years, is still a 2 year old rum, to the brand new bottles which Cruzan rums are now coming in is still 2 year old rum.

Bob I would double check your info to make sure it is correct. I am not saying that Cruzan might not come out in near future with a new 14 month dark to replace the existing 2 year old dark, but that change certainly has not happened yet.

Having said that, my original post dealt with the brand new bottles of cruzan rum compared to the ones that were on the market this past summer and before. The new bottled rums taste so much better and I was wondering wether or not someone else might have tasted the difference.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina1914 View Post
As far as I am concerned, it was only the Cruzan light that went from the 2 years old down to 14 months...

However, I do not think Cruzan ever had plans to change the dark rum to 14 months. The new bottling package that came out 2-3 months ago, state that the dark rum is 2years old. As far as I know, All the Cruzan dark rums from the the ones that specifically mention 2 years, to the new labeling with the small star that replaced 2 years, is still a 2 year old rum, to the brand new bottles which Cruzan rums are now coming in is still 2 year old rum.

Bob I would double check your info to make sure it is correct. I am not saying that Cruzan might not come out in near future with a new 14 month dark to replace the existing 2 year old dark, but that change certainly has not happened yet.
Perhaps your area doesn't go through enough volume to have experienced the change. Both the light and dark rums did change to 14 month from 2 years. I had a picture from a liquor store, but the info on the main page should be better.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=153
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Rum Runner

Cruzan has a small foothold here in Puerto Rico. When the two rapid changes in ownership took place there was a lapse of product on the shelves here. It continues so. I did however make a trip to the main Island of Puerto Rico and find a new bottle/label as Rumelier had displayed of the aged dark rum which clearly stated in small letters "Aged 2 years".

My understanding is that Pernod/Ricard was in mid re-tooling of the label and bottle when they then sold it to Brown/Foreman I think...It's hard to keep track without looking back...I believe that the new owners were going to keep the new bottle/label that Pernod/Ricard had started, and that the white rum was to be aged labeled as 14 months aged, but that the 2 year ageing would remain for the dark.

As an aside I also picked up a bottle of the new 151 proof Cruzan at $US12.99. It states aged for 1 year.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Perhaps your area doesn't go through enough volume to have experienced the change. Both the light and dark rums did change to 14 month from 2 years. I had a picture from a liquor store, but the info on the main page should be better.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=153
Believe it or not Carbon that pic is of a 2 year old rum. I suspect that you have never seen the bottle up close or perhaps read the label carefully to realize that. Moreover, that label is now old. The new bottles of cruzan, see here
http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/vi/cruzan/img/vi_34.jpg

and what I have right now drinking from also clearly states 2 years. The fact is the light is now 14 months, but the dark has not yet been changed to 14 months and hopefully will never.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina1914 View Post
Believe it or not Carbon that pic is of a 2 year old rum. I suspect that you have never seen the bottle up close or perhaps read the label carefully to realize that. Moreover, that label is now old. The new bottles of cruzan, see here
http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/vi/cruzan/img/vi_34.jpg

and what I have right now drinking from also clearly states 2 years. The fact is the light is now 14 months, but the dark has not yet been changed to 14 months and hopefully will never.
I don't know if I've examined both of the bottles with the VIIII label (what is that for anyway?), but I guess I just assumed that it had changed like the light had (with that label change). I don't have a bottle on hand, but what exactly does that red seal say in it? Is Ed's entry for that rum on the main site incorrect then?

As for the actual new bottle, I'm well aware of what that looks like, but am not sure of how much the new dark is aged. The only new bottle we have here is for the light, which people have said says its aged 1 year now.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions