MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

349 years ago in 1670, the Worthy Park Estate was founded on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Edge

Talking Old Salt Former Marine Rum Drinker

Howdy!

As it's good manners to introduce one's self when entering a forum, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Edge, and I'm a former Marine SSgt, father of two, hack actor in community theater, stupendously awesome R/C pilot, and known among my friends as a rum drinker. I won't go so far as to say I'm a connoisseur, but I do have my opinions!

My first experience with rum was in the Marines where my best friend Stevie and I (we were both Corporals at the time) used to hang out poolside at the apartment complex I lived at in Tustin, California (at the time, we were both stationed at MCAS El Toro). We were quite taken with the poolside lifestyle, bbqing sausage and drinking tropical drinks out of coconut shells. We found that rum went well with the tropical juices, and we began with Whaler's dark rum. We then found we liked rum more than the tropical juices and began drinking the rum neat. At the time, we were really quite poor, so Whaler's was very much in our budget (and heck, it was a good tasting rum). Imagine our surprise when we found out it was bottled a few blocks from where I lived!

From there, we began to experiment with other dark rums: Pusser's and Meyer's were two I remember us buying and imbibing quite a bit. I then discovered Whaler's had a spiced rum, and my love affair with spiced rum began while Stevie still preferred (and still does to this day) the darker rums.

As a Staff Sergeant, I did my best to introduce my troops to the finer aspects of rum and drinking responsibly. I used to have cookouts at my house in base housing every weekend, and it became a contest among my Marines for them to bring a new and unusual rum for us to all sample (and "kill"). I would say we came across some Havana Club once after performing a color guard for a Canadian consulate, but that would have been illegal for us to possess (don't worry, we did our duty and got rid of it in the name of Justice.. the right way!).

Currently, I would list my favorites (read: the stuff I keep in stock here at home and in no particular order) as:

Cruzan Single Barrel Estate
Cruzan Blackstrap
English Harbor (this stuff is incredibly delicious!)
Ron Anejo Aniversario
Captain Morgan's 100
Captain Morgan's Private Reserve
Whaler's Spiced Rum
Whaler's Vanille Rum
Sailor Jerry's

I am currently in the process of making my own spiced rum. I began with some Cruzan Estate Light Rum and added vanilla bean (Madagascar tahitensis that I had purchased in bulk last year, but still fresh due to vacuum sealing), cinnamon (stick), allspice, star anise, cloves, nutmeg, and orange zest. I will filter it this weekend and share it with Stevie when he and his girls (wife and two daughters) come over for our regular weekend get-together time (our families are very close). I've had one small taste of it, and while I think I overdid the star anise a bit, it is very delicious!

So, that's a little bit about me. I'm still learning more and more every day about this wonderful drink and I look forward to learning from you all here and sharing my experiences/taste with you all.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome Edge!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Patapouf

Welcome Edge.

That's quite the interesting story. You'll find a wealth of information here and a wealth of experts that can tend to many rum questions.
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
forrest

Well Edge welcome to the for-rum!!

Great tale and your rum sounds delish!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thank you for the introduction and welcome to the friendliest rum forum on the internet.

As mentioned elsewhere, if you're starting a new spiced rum, try making several batches with different spices and then blending them together so you can control the relative strengths of the spices. I know it takes some discipline not to put a bunch of spices in a bottle but the better results are worth the effort.

Just reading about sipping rum drinks from coconuts makes my mouth water.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, if you're starting a new spiced rum, try making several batches with different spices and then blending them together so you can control the relative strengths of the spices. I know it takes some discipline not to put a bunch of spices in a bottle but the better results are worth the effort.
This makes so much sense! I wish I'd have known this before I started! Oh well... I guess we'll get rid of (read=drink) the first attempt and start "fresh." I have a lot of smaller bottles from my vanilla extract project, so I can do this with resources already on-hand!

BTW, although not completely off-topic, I made vanilla extract as Christmas gifts for friends and family last year, and it's the most successful gift I've ever given. I think I may do spiced rum this year as gifts. Although it won't last as long as the vanilla extract can, I'm sure it would be another personal gift that nearly all could enjoy. Heck, just making the labels will be totally worth it.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! I'm really enjoying the site and all the great information here. I just have to resist going to the liquor store tonight to get more "research material." lol.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
RonJames

Edge you sound like our kind of guy. Don't worry about not being an expert, your an expert in the most important area. What Edge likes to drink! You've got a great tale there and I enjoyed the whole read. I like you didn't take long to find the pussers and although I don't drink it neat it is still the best GROG around! Enjoy the site, welcome aboard, and do some damage with Stevie.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions