MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

13 years ago in 2005, Graham Barnes Distilling was established in Austin, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Sylbaris

Default Sylbaris in Haitian Heaven

Last evening at the Shop Talk & Art Gallery in Brooklyn, the world's crossroad and melting pot, I had the pleasure of meeting the Minister of Rum himself, Mr. Ed Hamilton. The occasion was a rum tasting of Barbancourt Rhums, Haiti's premier agricole love potions, sponsored by Beyond Travel a non-profit chamber of travel volunteerism dedicated to an educational and cultural exchange of ideas. With Ed as our historian and guide, we were treated to five of Haiti's best rhum appellations. This was wonderfully complimented by native Haitian cuisine and the dulcet tones of a lovely young chanteuse Sarah Dupuy singing her folks songs from the heart. While planned, catered and choreographed, the evening came off with a extraordinary spontaneity as people of many diverse cultures and backgrounds all merged in a camraderie of the moment fueled by good rhum and the beauty of all the warm personalities present. Despite all of its inherent Third World idiosynchrasy, I must now place Haiti on my bucket list of places I would like to visit before its over. Thanks Ed for the invite.
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
RonJames

Good to hear you had a good time, welcome aboard the for-rum. If you're serious about traveling to haiti then look up BunnyHugs, he's a member here but I haven't seen him in awhile. He traveled to the DR then to haiti some time back and detailed it on his internet site. What were the 5 rhums served?
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
TheRumelier

Warning:- There are many places in the world I would go back to before going back to Haiti. What sounds good in an artificial setting is completely different in reality. There are many safer islands/countries to visit, with as much culture and good rum/rhum.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
forrest

Sylbari, i feel like a bit of a cad having not properly geeted you so "Welcome to the for-rum!".. Sounds like a beautiful evening, filled with fun times excellent music and AMAZING Rhums (i do love that Barbancourt!! by the way Ron James the 5 were --i am guessing- Barbancourt 15 year <or Reserve du Domain-- if they did both....>, Special Reserve/ Five Star, Three Star, White and Pango <which is VERY delicious, also> now that i said that i wonder if it was Res du Dom, or the 15 Year that is readily available in the US-- dang good question...).
And Sylbari the warning that was openly extended by RumRunner should at the least be looked into, and a telling example of the day to day trials (and triumphs-- of course) are cogently articulated on Bunnyhugs site as Ron James had mentioned (perhaps as a subtle warning also?). Suffice it to say, for my part, i was deeply interested in going, but was dissuaded with a little research-- perhaps someday in a group setting..
Sylbari, on a side note-- excellent writing style-- you happen to have an outlet i could peruse- do you?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to for the forums, Sylbaris. I was good to meet you and the others at Shop Talk and Art Gallery in Brooklyn. I hope to link to some pictures of Friday night's gathering on the event page soon.

A few months ago I traveled to Guatemala and on the way to the airport I heard an NPR broadcast about the killing of bus drivers by rival bus operators in Guatemala city. Not exactly the kind of news I was hoping to hear, but the reality is that there is violence in most major metropolitan areas of the world. And the economic trials we are facing today aren't helping matters.

On the other hand, of the scores of countries I've visited in my lifetime only a couple lived up to their reputation.

The rums tasted were Barbancourt White, 3 star, 5 star, Pango and the 15 year old that is sold in the US.

Thanks to Valerie at Beyond Travel for organizing a very nice event. I look forward to working with her in the future. And getting back to Brooklyn.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting the Minister of Rum himself, Mr. Ed Hamilton.
Actually, I only work for the Ministry of Rum. To be the Minister of Rum would imply that I have and can keep a job. My sailing friends refer to me as the administer of rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Actually, I only work for the Ministry of Rum. To be the Minister of Rum would imply that I have and can keep a job. My sailing friends refer to me as the administer of rum.
Well Ed, i don't sail... but i call You the Minister of Rum!
(and my friend... but that is another story!)
Administer seems so pejorative. . . .

*** i am adding this note because upon re-reading my quip, it fell flat, so here is an apology..

Last edited by forrest; 09-07-2009 at 03:13 AM.
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Sylbaris

Forrest: Your powers of deduction our brilliant! What you mentioned is what we drank until those bottles were history! Now as far as venturing to Haiti anytime soon, that is not the plan. I only want to visit there in the company of those who know the lay of the land. I am not looking to buy the farm for sake of any rhum with the possible exception of Bally, see my thread. Now if any of you are planning an adventure to Martinique sometime next year please let me know. For that I would be a very willing First Mate. Do you hear me Ed? I long to get in that Bally state of mind! Until then, walking in balance & staying on point to deliver on the promise & the dream!
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions