MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

106 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Solomon Grundy

Question Bacardi & Blasphemy

At 37,000 feet, there wasn't much choice in rum. So there an impromptu tasting of Bacardi Silver was held, albeit while I had a bad cold and after having gobbled a chili cheese dog at the airport DQ and a good hoppy beer in the airport bar.

Y'know what, the Bacardi Silver wasn't at all bad. Drunk straight, it didn't have any real flavor (blind folded, I don't think I would've identified it as a rum) but it wasn't as harsh as even good vodkas can be. It mixed well with the Canada Dry gingerale. I remembered Bacardi Silver as much worse. But now I'd say it was an approachable neutral spirit. I don't know if it should rate it as a "rum" in anything other than legal definition, because it was missing so many of the qualities that I expect in a rum (like, y'know, tasting like rum). But I'll give it it's due. I will give it another try when I don't have a cold to see what it's like.
Solomon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Altitude also affects our taste perceptions. Some airline wine consultants are actually tasting the wines to be served at altitude so see how they will taste when they are served during flight. And I thought I had a good job.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
KINGSTON

I have not a bad word to say about Bacardi. It may not be a Rum Aficionado's Top Choice, but they do spread the "Rum Word" around the world. When your the biggest, it's easy to be public enemy number one. They have done more good for this industry than bad. My Wife is Puerto Rican- she takes a lot of pride in Bacardi.
KINGSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Schock Therapy

Bacardi has it's place I suppose. Tonight I was at the in-laws for dinner, and as is customary the bro-in-law served up a mug of rum 'n' Coke to get the evening started. He finished off the last of a bottle of Flor de Cana 5 in the first round. (sadly I did not get a chance to taste it neat!) It was tasty, as the first drink usually is! The next round was mixed with one of the higher end Bacardi darks; I actually liked it better than the first! It just seemed to go with the coke better! It still wasn't as good as Black Seal and Coke tho!

I'm guessing my preference would be different had I been drinking them both neat, but the point is, Bacardi is fine for R&C especially after you've downed a few!
Schock Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSTON View Post
I have not a bad word to say about Bacardi.
If we are honest with ourselves I believe that most of us can recognize that the disdain for Bacardi has little to do with its quality.

Everyone loves to hate the big dog. My company is easily the most hated sword maker in the US, principally I believe, because it is the largest.

The second reason that WE, as supposed connoisseurs, might show disdain is our own egos. We want to be holders of hidden knowledge. Even unconsciously such is highly likely to prejudice our opinions.

I have spoken with some significant distillers that ASPIRE to Bacardi quality.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Hank Koestner

You can't knock Bacardi for consistency and being user friendly. For being produced in incredibly large amounts as it is, it is well done. I do find that in comparison to other rums, most of thier offerings lack a little complexity, so I would make other choices. That being said, I wonder how many of us would choose a Bacardi rum in a blind tasting, not knowing it was one of the choices. My only complaint has been that they had such a large market share for such a long time, it was hard to buy other rums. That has changed quite a bit, as we all know.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Bacardi is a successful company -- perhaps the most successful privately held company in the spirits business. Look what they've done over the past decade. They've taken chances on breaking open new products and categories, something difficult for other to do because you're betting some serious money with no guarantee of return. The Bacardi Breezers, Limon, O, Raspberry, Vanilla, Apple, etc. are well marketed -- you see them everywhere.

One interesting product is Ciclon - with 10% agave tequila. Very interesting. Not sure if anyone besides myself ever tasted it.

Bacardi 8 has it's stalwart fans. I drink it at bars where some of my other favorites are not on hand. Bacardi Select, Solera and Anejo are all good rums. Millennium is an exceptional spirit.

The most ubiquitous spirit on the planet is Bacardi Silver -- totally inescapable, the universal face of rum. It was intended almost 150 years ago to be pure, clean, light, consistent (qualities that did not exist at the time) and to compliment it's shared ingredients in cocktails.

Their new Havana Club is a fine white rum, so is Rubi Rey, and they've invested heavily in Leblon cachaзa. Their acquisitions of Dewar's and Grey Goose have brought renewed distinction and success to those labels.

If they believe there's any real serious money in the up and coming new trend of premium rum, they're certainly capable of producing or purchasing a winner.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've tried Ciclуn several times and each time I tried it I thought it would probably be the last time I had the opportunity to try to appreciate it.

In Mexico all tequila that isn't labeled 100% agave is blended with molasses-based alcohol. But somehow the addition of tequila to rum hasn't found a big following.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
The Scribe

My problem with Bacardi, specifically the silver, is less with Bacardi as an institution, but rather, as Mr. Grundy pointed out that it is really a molasses neutral spirit than a rum. And just as I would rather drink a nice aged Glenfidich (or Balmoral, or some other Glen* or Bal*) than Scotch neutral spirits, so I would rather drink a nice aged Mount Gay (or El Dorado, or Appleton, etc.) than Bacardi. I also find, at least locally, it's about $4 high for what it is.
Cheers. - S
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
RumBarPhilly

I feel Bacardi has its place as a fine mixing white rum, as far its taste in a comparison, we tried a few whites in a blind test:
Bacardi, Cruzan, Ron Rio, Bambu, and Oronoco.

We did this test without ever trying Oronoco before. Needless to say, that was an easy one to pick out. Cruzan was our 2nd favorite and we guessed it correct. Bambu was very clean and light and we guessed it correct as our 3rd favorite. Unfortunately, we confused Bacardi with our well rum, Ron Rio. We all picked our well rum over bacardi.

More recently, we did a taste comparison of Bacardi Gold, Matusalem Clasico, and Cruzan Dark...

Bacardi Gold was a unanimous winner as the worst tasting, most offensive gold.

I really enjoy some of Bacardi's flavors though, like the Peach, Coco, and the defunct Vanilla.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions