MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

12 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
BaltRumFan

Default Coco Real - Cream of Coconut

Hell all! Has anyone tried Coco Real? I dont know how new it is, until seeing it on a website last month I had never heard of it. Then while in my local grocery store chain this week they now have a huge display of it.

I love Coco Lopez but the can packaging is quite irritating so I decided to pick up a few bottles of Coco Real.

Side by side I could not tell the slightest bit of different. Color, scent and most importantly taste were identical as far as my senses could tell.

Fridays I normally treat myself to Pusser's painkillers so tonight I popped my last can of Coco Lopez for my first drink, and used Coco Real for my second. No way I could tell the difference. Given the ease of use and re-storage I'll most likely be a Coco Real loyalist for some time
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Bluehammer

I too enjoy the Painkiller and have tried many rums with it. I agree the Coco Real is much easier to use. However, I find the Coco Lopez is worth the extra hassle with the can. There is a more natural coconut flavor to me and a better balance to the sweet side. Most importantly, the consistency seems the best. I do find it helps to really shake the can a lot. The Coco Lopez gives my Painkiller a better thickness and feel. Of course, this is an opinion of how I like the drink. For me there is only 1 winner. I tried the Coco Lopez Lite and it was similar to Coco Real for me.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
BaltRumFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehammer View Post
I too enjoy the Painkiller and have tried many rums with it. I agree the Coco Real is much easier to use. However, I find the Coco Lopez is worth the extra hassle with the can. There is a more natural coconut flavor to me and a better balance to the sweet side. Most importantly, the consistency seems the best. I do find it helps to really shake the can a lot. The Coco Lopez gives my Painkiller a better thickness and feel. Of course, this is an opinion of how I like the drink. For me there is only 1 winner. I tried the Coco Lopez Lite and it was similar to Coco Real for me.

Ah, you mentioned Coco Lopez Lite I picked up a can few weeks back when my store was out of the regular and didn't care for it at all. Blah
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
RonJames

Its funny you gents brought this up.

1) I had a painkiller at a dock bar a couple of weeks ago that used coco real and the squeeze top got me intriqued. Pain killer tasted good, but to be honest...at that moment any would have tasted good.

2) Then I was at the local booze palace near us and I was gonna pick up a bottle of the coco real and my wife said two things. One that she is puerto rican and that she was going to be snobby and demand the coco lopez, and Two that she read an article that did side by side comparisons and that the coco lopez was better in that the main ingredient in it is coconut as opposed to the coco real.

Hope this is helpful. I think what Im gonna do is the next plastic bottle squeeze top we use, I'll just refill it with coco lopez
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
. . . and my wife said two things. One that she is puerto rican and that she was going to be snobby and demand the coco lopez, and Two that she read an article that did side by side comparisons and that the coco lopez was better in that the main ingredient in it is coconut as opposed to the coco real.

Hope this is helpful. I think what Im gonna do is the next plastic bottle squeeze top we use, I'll just refill it with coco lopez
You're a smart man RonJames. Don't disagree with your Puerto Rican wife when it comes to coconuts, or rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
You're a smart man RonJames. Don't disagree with your Puerto Rican wife when it comes to coconuts, or rum.
Thanks Ed, I disagreed with her last night about her drinking my daiquiri...and she did it anyway. The best thing about Puerto Rican women is that they don't give a man grief about rum, the bad thing, they drink it on them
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Dave in the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
Hope this is helpful. I think what I'm gonna do is the next plastic bottle squeeze top we use, I'll just refill it with coco lopez
Good call; I think I'll do this as well.

I'd be hard pressed to buy something other than Coco Lopez, but it is nice to hear that Coco Real isn't bad, as occasionally Coco Lopez is hard to track down around here.

Dave
Dave in the basement is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses