MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

350 years ago in 1670, the Worthy Park Estate was founded on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Ferpetesak

Default Brugal Unico and Brugal Siglo de Oro

Anyone familar with these rums?

Peter
Ferpetesak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Unico is a rum liqueur and Siglo de Oro is their super-premium vintage in a beautiful blue porcelin bottle
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Dood

I have a bottle of the Siglo de Oro. It's fantastic. It's a very subtle rum - the polar opposite of a Pyrat Cask or Zacapa 23.

Full review and notes are here
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
bunnyhugs

Anyone been in the Dominican Republic recently and know where to buy Siglo de Oro (or try it by the glass in a bar). Iґve been searching high and low in Santo Domingo with no luck. Everyone is telling me it is no longer available locally. Supposedly everything was bought up and either exported or put in the airport duty free. I didnґt notice it at the airport either, but I only had a quick look and could have missed it.

I was almost going to pick up a bottle of the Unico. I was put off by the fact that it seemed to be a liqueur more than a straight rum. Good to see that confirmed.

Rum is ubiquitous here but the higher end stuff is quite hard to find.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Michael

Thanks Dood for a nice review of the elusive Brugal Siglo de Oro. We haven't even had the pleasure of trying Brugal Añejo Extra Viejo, but hope to try both as we're partial to most Dominican rums, Dominican (Barceló, Brugal) or Cuban style (Cubaney, Matusalem).
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Hank Koestner

I hope at some point to aquire the Siglo D'Oro. After reading Dood's review, I know I would like it. I have been able to aquire the Extra Viejo, and it is very good. It is a richer, deeper version of the Anejo, but the earthy muskiness I find in the Anejo is not as profound in the Viejo.
I have not visited these rums in awhile, I think it is time for another dram or two.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 08-03-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhugs View Post
Anyone been in the Dominican Republic recently and know where to buy Siglo de Oro (or try it by the glass in a bar). Iґve been searching high and low in Santo Domingo with no luck. Everyone is telling me it is no longer available locally. Supposedly everything was bought up and either exported or put in the airport duty free. I didnґt notice it at the airport either, but I only had a quick look and could have missed it..
Siglo de Oro was still well represented when I was in Santo Domingo a few months ago. Best price I saw it for was around 1000 pesos (which could have been haggled down to about 800). Unfortunately, I can't recall the name or exact location of the place I saw this at.
But there were three other places that had it, all of them around Catedral Basilica Menor de Santa Maria/ Parque Colуn. The first one was the Montecristo tourist shop directly to the right of the cathedral. The second one was a high-end liquor store, a 3 min walk up the street from the cathedral (go up the street on the left side of the cathedral, away from the water, store is on the left side of the street). And the last one was a tourist shop also on the left side street of the cathedral (right side of the street, very close to the liquor shop, bottle is on a top shelf in a backroom with cigars).
Unfortunately, the price at all those locations will be about 2000-3500 pesos...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhugs View Post
Anyone been in the Dominican Republic recently and know where to buy Siglo de Oro (or try it by the glass in a bar). Iґve been searching high and low in Santo Domingo with no luck. Everyone is telling me it is no longer available locally. Supposedly everything was bought up and either exported or put in the airport duty free. I didnґt notice it at the airport either, but I only had a quick look and could have missed it.

I was almost going to pick up a bottle of the Unico. I was put off by the fact that it seemed to be a liqueur more than a straight rum. Good to see that confirmed.

Rum is ubiquitous here but the higher end stuff is quite hard to find.
I saw it at several places a few months ago when I was in La Romana. It seemed like the touristy shops did have the higher end rums - check out 'Columbus Plaza' - I got some very good rums at the La Romana store, but I also noticed they have a shop in Santo Domingo: Calle Merino 206, Colonial Zone (809-689-0565)

The other interesting rums that I found were at the out of the way 'local' supermarkets - as you say, rum is everywhere, and there are some interesting ones to be found!! Have fun!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
bunnyhugs

Thanks for the directions and advice guys. I found it in several of the gift and cigar shops around the cathedral. Price was horrible though. Best I found was 2,800 pesos. There is no real shortage of bottles in those locations, so I will probably go back and pick a bottle up if I don't see it cheaper elsewhere.

I think that part of the issue in tracking it down is that it only gets released once a year, around December. So immediately after December you may find it all over the place, but as the year progresses fewer and fewer places have it. Also, the places that keep a supply available are probably doing so by charging more than what it costs earlier in the year.

When I asked in an ordinary wine shop last week I think the guy told me it was 'very expensive' at 1,500 pesos. The tourist shops mostly sell it for around 3,000.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
bunnyhugs

Managed to get a bottle and posted a review.

http://bunnyhugs.org/2008/08/16/brug...e-oro-tasting/

I wasn't super-overwhelmed but I enjoyed it.

So far I think my first taste of rhum agricole may have been my best rum experience. I continue to find rhum agricole consistently amazing stuff. I guess I just like those robust type of tastes.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions