MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

155 years ago in 1865, Destileria Serralles, Inc. was established in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
maxjolt

Default big hello from cathay

hi i'm max, joined this forum to learn more about rum and to find great rum products.
i work in china (ol' cathay) in the drinks business, so i'm looking for rum to import some time in the future.
hopefully i can pick up some tips from the rum gurus on this forum
i've always liked rum - it was the first spirit i got to know the taste of (rum n raisin ice cream & chocolates, blackcurrant & rum), and i tend to drink rum cocktails (both dark and white rum kinds). i'd like to try more rums straight, to taste rum as it is, but i am also a sucker for great mixed drinks, and i think rum is one of the best spirits to mix with.
i haven't really tried any top rums, only the mass brands, so this is a new adventure for me. hopefully i'll find out about some rums that it would be a waste to mix - that would be a really good place for people to start making suggestions to me!!! (i bet there's a thread on it right?)

tx

max
maxjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums max. There are a number of good rums heading to China. Stay tuned.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
mac

Enjoy the journey !!!
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
dreliason

Welcome to the Ministry of Rum, Max. You are asking for suggestions? This would be the place to start. Personally I think the best rums seem to come from Martinique and St. Lucia ... but they seem hard to come by. A really good mixer would be El Dorado from Guiana. It has the ability to stand up to mixers and still tastes like the good rum that it is. It also has the advantages of being easy to find, relatively inexpensive for the mixers, and still offers good quality "sipping" rums. The same thing could be said for Cruzan, from St. Croix (USVI). Then, of course, you might have to settle for what you can get in China, or into China.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
maxjolt

thanks Mr Ed! Can I ask: do you know of any rum tasting groups in Hong Kong, Macao or China? outside Hong Kong and Shanghai, there is really no rum except for Cap. Morgan (which is dyed with caramel right?) & Bacardi (both Puerto Rico?), & Myers dark. I guess these mass produced rums may not even be made with 100% cane sugar and have lots of additives/colorings.

The China market for rum does not exist yet. Metro has a white rum that is US$10 for 70cl which is very poor...and i haven't yet seen a rum in china retailing for more than US$20...both white and dark rum could be very popular here. right now most of the consumption is mixed drinks and that is where the market starts. so i'm interested in brands that have rum for mixing and rum for sipping.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
maxjolt

Thanks for this dreliason! do you know of any reason why Martinique and St. Lucia produce the best/better rums? do they differ much in price from other rums? it is pretty much impossible to buy any rum in mainland China except for the mass brands, but I can ship it in or buy it when travelling. One other question, what is the most popular rum in Florida? Thanks. Max
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
jrl915

Maxjolt,

A good place to start is to go to the "favorites" icon at the bottom of the home page and click it. It will send you to a screen to select a number of types of rum. Just click rum and you will see a list of the most popular rums among the forum's members.

You can learn about these rums in a number of ways. Click on the rum name and you will go to a page with a brief review of the rum. You can also search for threads mentioning that rum by using the "search" function at the top right side of this page. Using this you can find members' thoughts on any number of rums.

You will likely come to favor certain types of rums (e.g., sweet vs. dry) and this research will help you identify some of the favored rums of each type. Of course, there are plenty of other top-notch rums that won't be on the favorites list.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions