MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

176 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
D.B.Cooper

I couldn't tell you how many different rums I've had over the years. The only constant was when I didn't like a rum, it was distilled from juice. Now I'm sure there are ones out there that I may like but I will not spend my $$$ on a likely disappointment.

At 47 I am finally admitting to myself that I do not like certain things such as cognac, brandy, cachaca, agricole....
D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #12
TheBeoozeBaron

Default Sugar Rums

First post so feel free to correct me but I am severely over the hardcore back-sweetened rums.

Zacapa anything
Dictador anything
Ron de Jeremy's premium travesty
Even most Diplomatico releases are too sweet and just loses all real flavour.

That being said I can't stop myself around any El Dorado...

Does everyone that sweetens just use sugar to do so or are some adding glycerine to get the thicker texture as well?
TheBeoozeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I hate to say that I've identified glycerine as an ingredient in some rums. The purpose I can only suspect is to give the rum a smoother mouthfeel but it also covers slight imperfections in the rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I fully appreciate that many people aren't in love with agricole and though I don't advocate spending $30 or more on a bottle of rum you might not enjoy, I would welcome the opportunity to serve you a ti punch made with good agricole rhum. Neisson is my favorite but there are others that will make a good drink in the hands of a good bartender.

That said, I'm not a bartender, or a mixologist, and I don't play either on the internet, but my success rate with people who asked for and drank the second ti punch is more than 90%.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
TheBeoozeBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I fully appreciate that many people aren't in love with agricole and though I don't advocate spending $30 or more on a bottle of rum you might not enjoy
This is such an issue with Agricole! In Aus it's more like $120 just to get something half decent but the way something like a Depaz XO just opens with a bit of time in the glass and flourishes across the palate is fantastic. If you're into that sort of thing right?

Oh and thank you for the info on Glycerine
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #16
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Hopefully that price will come down in Aus next year. I'm looking to import a portfolio of rums that I hope will include rhum agriocle.
Ministry of Rum

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #17
TheBeoozeBaron

Out of interest who were you going to import through? Your own set up or some of the local importer/distributor set ups?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #18
Mount Hetero XY

Hi, I'm new to the forums! I'm here to learn more about quality rum, and discover new rims I can sip straight. I want to avoid cocktails, and enjoy the complex greatness of good rum.

With that brief intro, I'll dive right in. I don't like the Trini Zaya Gran Reserva. I had the privilege of tasting the pre-2008 Guatemalan version, which was divine. The new version is harsh and lacks depth - all I get is overwhelming vanilla backed with alcohol burn. I was sorely disappointed, as anything I spend $30 and above on, I expect to be able to sip it straight without difficulty. Coke Zero smooths it out, but if I wanted a mixer rum, I could've got something much cheaper.

Bacardi White and Gold are industrial solvents masquerading as rum. They require dilution with a sweet mixer to be drinkable.
Mount Hetero XY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #19
Alan

I use to not like agricoles since they were different than my expectation of rum. But coming from a now whiskey immersed background I have come to appreciate agricoles. They are not your sweet dessert rums but can compete with good whiskey.
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #20
Carl

I won't buy Cruzan Black Strap again. Never thought I'd be overwhelmed by molasses, but its almost as cloying as the vanilla in Zaya. And so sweet it makes my teeth ache. I can't even think of anything to cook with it.

And there's nothing especially wrong with Blackwell's, but its just no screamin' hell as a rum. My basics of Screech, Old Sam, and Goslings are way better in my opinion.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions