MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

63 years ago in 1955, Travellers Liquors Limited was established in Belize.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Bluehammer

Default Planter's Gold Pyrat XO (Older Blend)

I happened to be on E-Bay yesterday and saw a bottle of the Planter's Gold for sale. It had quite a good write up about the change from SMS to Patron as the importer and the resulting change in flavor. The bottle was being advertised as discontinued and I think had a Pyrat bottle number of around #22,000. It had one bid for $79.00.

This got me to thinking. I think that Patron took over importing from SMS around 2005. At that time the bottle numbers were around 102,000. I was recently gifted a bottle of the current version that is numbered just over 1,000,000. That is a pretty hefty rum up in production (yes, pun intended).

I would like to pose 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know when the Planters Gold Pyrat XO first started production?
2. If you have a bottle of the old stuff would you mind posting the approx. time frame when you procurred it and the bottle #?

Thank you for all who respond. You would be helping me satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited by Bluehammer; 01-01-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
TheRumelier

I have an old SMS bottle numbered 109590. I can't exactly remember how long I have had it, but I would guess before 2005. I think I will buy a new bottle and do a comparison soon, just to see if there is much difference in the blend.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
rumdog46

Send a message via Yahoo to rumdog46

Hello,
Yes there really is a big difference between the two blends. One could say night and day difference. The old Planters Gold was intoxicating to put it simply while the newer Pyrat leaves you going hmm, hope this isn't as good as rum gets!

I have a bottle of the Old unopened I'm saving. The number is 95324.

So Many Rums So Little Time
rumdog46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Bluehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdog46 View Post
Hello,
Yes there really is a big difference between the two blends. One could say night and day difference. The old Planters Gold was intoxicating to put it simply while the newer Pyrat leaves you going hmm, hope this isn't as good as rum gets!

I have a bottle of the Old unopened I'm saving. The number is 95324.
Do you recall when you aquired this bottle? Just trying to back trace bottle numbers to years to get a (very rough) estimate of how long ago this SMS version of Pyrat has been around. It is mentioned that Anguilla Rums was started around 1995 on this site.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
JMac

The bottle of XO in my collection is bottle is 52547 and I purchased it between 2002-2003.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
frenchrumlover

mine is number 134421 and i got it last year around february
frenchrumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
rumdog46

Send a message via Yahoo to rumdog46
Default Concerning the old Planters Gold vs PYRAT Reserve

I guess my question is why did Patron take over the Planters Gold from SMS Importers and screw up the blend and change the name? I would think if you have a superior product as in the old Planters Gold why would you mess it up?

Really frustrated as I'm still trying to track down some of the old blend to add to my collection.

My quest for 2009

So Many Rums So Little Time
rumdog46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Bluehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdog46 View Post
I guess my question is why did Patron take over the Planters Gold from SMS Importers and screw up the blend and change the name? I would think if you have a superior product as in the old Planters Gold why would you mess it up?

Really frustrated as I'm still trying to track down some of the old blend to add to my collection.

My quest for 2009
The thread I started here is somewhat similar to your question. I am trying to build a timeline for the change. So far as I can tell the Pyrat line began approx in 1994 (please correct me if wrong). From the input by members so far it seems that bottle #'s 1- 130,000 or so were produced from approx. 1994-2005. I base this logic loosely on the bottle number sequence mentioned in prior posts and dates of acquisition. Additionally, my lowest Planters Gold is approx # 102,000. This comes from a gift set box (bottle of rum and 2 v-shaped flare style Pyrat glasses) with the SMS version of the product inside and Patron labels/advertisements all over the outer box. This came from a case marked 2005. A recent Pyrat gift to me had a bottle # over a million.

I do not think that Patron has tried to "screw up" Pyrat. I do think they saw a rum that had fantastic packaging (hand blown bottle, bright fabric on neck, Hoti medallion, and a good reputation). The rum has in my opinion one of the best marketable names for rum. Being a blend of rums gives lots of wiggle room on formula. Patron does mass market beverages.

I think (opinion only) that Patron wanted to expand on the mass market success of their tequila. They bought the Pyrat image and wanted to make a mass produced rum. Maybe they could not get enough of the nine rums to blend. Maybe one of the blenders refused to sell to Patron. Maybe Patron thought they could substitute cheaper rums and put additives in the blend to increase profit margins. Who knows? All I know is that it does taste different. This is from multiple side-by-side, bottle to bottle comparisons.

Also the packaging got cheaper. Although the bottles have little bubbles, they lack the "hand blown" markings on the bottom. My Planters bottles have a rough, broken off glass protrusion on the bottom. Probably from where the bottle was broken off the glass blowers' pipe. Also, there is only 1 piece of fabric around the neckeek.gif. All of these little changes help the bottom line.

In conclusion (I think) the following:

- Planters Gold Pyrat XO began roughly around 1994.
- From 1994-2005 they sold around 140,000 bottles of Planters Gold Pyrat XO.
- Since Patron took over the whole operation (2005) until now, they have sold roughly 1,000,000 bottles of Pyrat XO. Nice job selling the stuff!!
- Patron is in the $$$ business, not the rum business (their website does not even have an active link for Pyrat). They make Tequila, orange liqueur, and now vodka. Their orange liqueur has the same fabric around the neck as Pyrat. I will let the conspiracy theory about Pyrat's pronounced orange overtone settle in now.
- Patron will deny or not acknowledge a change of formula (this is from many trade shows and discussions with Patron reps.) To their credit many had not been with Patron longer than a year and therefore may not have the knowledge base.

This type of thing happened to Zaya recently. I am sure it will happen again. My little quest for bottle numbers is purely for historical purposes only. I do not think the new Pyrat is garbage, but I do not think it is the same "small batch" type quality as before. Due to price, I have not been able to compare Cask 23 and Cask 1623.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
rumdog007

I bought very dusty #'s 7004, 7017, 8134, today. I still had a couple of #60,000'ish sealed and an open #74,229.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Chris

Sounds like I will need to look around for the old stuff if it is sufficiently different from the new formula.
The new stuff is actually quite underwhelming. It may pass if you are looking for triple sec or curacao for mixing, but as a rum it really deserves a failing grade. I hope Patron comes to their senses and starts making it according to the old formula, but, as Bluehammer indicated, rum-heads are most likely not their main target audience for this product.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions