MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

114 years ago in 1903, Juan Serrallés installed the first continuous still on the island of Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
surfyguitar

Question Diamond Reserve White Rum

When searching white rum reviews I came across highly rated El Dorado White. When I got to the store, they had Demerara Diamond Reserve White next to El Dorado gold, but no El Dorado white. According to the label it is produced in Guyana by Demerara distillery but I cannot find any other references to the Diamond Reserve brand and Ministry of Rum database does not list this rum with any of the Demerara offerings. Since it came from Demerara, I bought 2 bottles but have not tasted yet. Can you provide any tasting notes or product info regarding Diamond Reserve? El Dorado 15yr is one of my favorites!
surfyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
mamajuana

How about a picture of the bottle.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Diamond is the name of the estate. I'm not familiar with any Diamond rums bottled recently but King of Diamonds was the flagship before 1995, when El Dorado 15 year old rum was launched.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
surfyguitar

Default Diamond Reserve White Rum Demerara Guyana Bottle

JPG of bottle attached to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140913_204606.jpg (86.3 KB, 13 views)
surfyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
mamajuana

I am awaiting the approval of your photo? Are you able to load this to a third party site so I may inspect the bottle? You may have a real gem here.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #6
RumScrummager

Default Diamond Reserve White

I did some scrummaging around myself in dingy old liquor stores in unremarkable parts of South Miami the other day and came upon a whole case of this stuff!

NOTE: these bottles have the Web address www.demrum.com on the back label; the World Wide Web was not publicly available until 1991, which places these bottles mid-to-late 1990s.

What I like about these early labels is that they have that old-world Demerara feel about them.

Diamond Reserve white rum is just one part of the Demerara Distiller Limited (DDL) lineup. The three Diamond Reserve expressions - white, gold, and dark, align closely with the existing El Dorado white, gold, and dark rums, also made by DDL. I wouldn’t be surprised if El Dorado takes the same path as Appleton, splitting their unified house brand into separate value and premium lines, i.e., Diamond Reserve for value rums and El Dorado for a more premium product.

Either way, the Diamond rums are modern simple column still light rums. They work best as mixers when a delicate rum flavor is desired. A product of Plantation Diamond, Guyana, the Demerara Distillers Limited (DDL) have been in business since the 1700's, so they are well made, but they were not aged and could have been produced last month.

Still, it is not every day you see a Demerara rum with 'Product of Guyana' on the label sitting on your local liquor store shelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diamond-Reserve-white.jpg (92.3 KB, 4 views)
RumScrummager is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers