MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

374 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Vanpatt

Default Coconut Drink Recipes

I was inspired by some of the other posts to buy a young coconut the other day to try a mixed drink straight from the coconut. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of drink recipes that I can serve at parties once summer finally arrives in Canada (give myself some time for experimenting!).

With my first drink I took out about half the coconut water, added a few ounces of Cruzan Estate Diamond, 1 oz of 50/50 sugar water, 1/2 a squeezed lime, and crushed ice; it was great! I'm looking for some other recipes that I can serve ideally with ingredients that are readily available.
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
andrewG

A great pina colada that is available year round that I like is using Coco Lopez, a dark navy rum (Cruzan), a splash of pineapple, all blended with ice.
andrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewG View Post
A great pina colada that is available year round that I like is using Coco Lopez, a dark navy rum (Cruzan), a splash of pineapple, all blended with ice.
Use a great gold rum in that pina colada, then top with Cruzan Blackstrap, or perhaps Goslings 151. Luscious!
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Vanpatt

Thanks for the tips, I'll give this Pina Colada a try. I can't get the Cruzan Blackstrap or Goslings 151 here so maybe I'll use some Lamb's Navy Rum instead.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
srnadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanpatt View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll give this Pina Colada a try. I can't get the Cruzan Blackstrap or Goslings 151 here so maybe I'll use some Lamb's Navy Rum instead.
I know it may sound weird, but I had this drink and it was amazingly good:

1 oz Brinley Gold Coconut rum
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1 oz cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple or lime peel

Blend with one cup ice. Pour contents into a tall glass (or martini glass). Decorate with the slice of pineapple or lemon peel.
www.shoppersvineyard.com
srnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
JMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanpatt View Post
I've been wanting to try some coconut water rum drinks...where did you get the coconut water??
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Vanpatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
I've been wanting to try some coconut water rum drinks...where did you get the coconut water??
You can buy the O.N.E coconut water Tetra packs at the Urban Fare grocery stores (I found mine downtown). They taste great and much fresher than I expected and the flavour is very subtle. I then came across young coconuts at the Superstore for $1.99 each. This is the first time I ever bought one and was surprise to find the water inside full right up to the top and they were quite easy to open (I don't have a machete here like others have suggested using so I just used a serrated knife to open it). I ended up taking out half the water from the coconut and freezing it and then made my drink right inside.

I'm looking forward to trying a Pina Colada in one and welcome other recipes. Would be a good way to get my wife interested in Rum and to stop hasseling me on how much I'm spending!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
JC

The benefits of live in the Caribbean, I have a few coconut plant in my backyard, every month i have new supplies, lol

one recipe I really like

50/50 Macorix 8 years / Coconut Water + crushed ice, Lime
Martini glass

Enjoy
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
tym2relax

I love the Pina Colada flavor as my favorite drink, I just get too lazy dragging out the blender and cleaning up. So, I came up with a quick version using crushed ice, my fav Pyrat Pistol, a squeeze of coco cream and top with pineapple juice. Stir and enjoy.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
RonJames

I just tried st. james royal ambre with coconut water. I was really unimpressed. I went light on the rhum and that might have made a difference. I tasted heavy from the coconut water and had only smoke from the rum, no sweetness what so ever. O well, on to the next adventure
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions