MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

177 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
Lew Barrett

I just received, as a gift, a boxed bottle of Ron Santiago de Cuba Anejo Superior, 11 years. A complete surprise, it's caught me flat footed! I don't know if I want to love it, or not. If I love it, where and when would I ever get another?

In any case, what am I in for? Or, will I need to tell you all after my first sips are considered? Very wonderful and exciting present indeed!

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-11-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #22
JHarpJ

Default Admire then feast.

Think back to your wedding night and there lies your answer.
Admire the beauty - then feast.
Jim
JHarpJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #23
The Scribe

What's the deal with bringing Cuban rum back into the States?
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've never had a problem bringing Cuban rum into the US as personal stash. I always declare a few bottles of rum in my luggage and only once has customs as to see the bottles.

On my most recent clearance in San Juan I declared 2.8 liters of rum which completely puzzled the customs man. In Miami, I've been told that if the duty is less than $20 they don't bother but that's not the case in San Juan. If you're unlucky enough to be clearing alcohol from a foreign country in the lone star state, your probably going to loose it since customs seems to have different rules in Texas.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
Lew Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarpJ View Post
Think back to your wedding night and there lies your answer.
Admire the beauty - then feast.
Jim
This is promising!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
Hank Koestner

Lucky man, Lew. I can't wait to hear what you think of this rum. I have heard of it. Remember Hank's motto: The rum tastes lousy sitting on the shelf.
Another motto: An empty bottle of rum is a happy one. I could go on with my ridiculous mottos, but I will stop before admin gives me the red pen.
I know it is hard to open a bottle that it is rare to have. You can limit yourself and spread it out over 6 months or so. You could save it for a special occasion, like Sunset Tomorrow.(is that a special occasion?)
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #27
Lew Barrett

Today's sunset will be the one you were discussing yesterday Hank, so if we get one here (they've been rare....covered in clouds!) and it warms up just a bit, I may crack the Santiago tonight. I have a little spring cold, and it's been getting in the way of my dalliances (cigars and rum on the porch) although rum by itself is probably just what the doc ordered.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Mick Martin

For my money the Santiago 11 year old can't be beat for price or quality. The Havana Club Barrel is very nice but since it's a "Barrel proof" and 43% it's a bit "hot" Also the Havana club 7 is damn fine too.
Mick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #29
Goslings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
I just received, as a gift, a boxed bottle of Ron Santiago de Cuba Anejo Superior, 11 years. A complete surprise, it's caught me flat footed! I don't know if I want to love it, or not. If I love it, where and when would I ever get another?

In any case, what am I in for? Or, will I need to tell you all after my first sips are considered? Very wonderful and exciting present indeed!
This is a very very nice rum. Brought a bottle back with me from Cuba last year. Don't think you will be disappointed. It is actually pricy even in Cuba. I am also a fan of the Havana Club products.
Goslings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #30
Lew Barrett

First Santiago 11 impressions.

No cigar tonight, a bit gray and nippy here. But as I write, I contemplate the "rum in my glass."

To start, there is a short struggle with the twist off cap and a realization that this rum is packaged with one of those diffusers that always confuses me. The rum is a rich sepia to red brown, and pours slowly, letting you know it's viscous right from the start. The aroma is gentle, not strongly alcoholic, with hints of vanilla, cocoa, banana. These are all subtle, combined into a light nose that is less aggressive than I had imagined it would be from the Havana Club reviews.

The rum is smoothly luscious in the mouth, with the viscous feel promised by the pour. There are plenty of notes to explore. A rich leather and tobacco note is immediately evidenced, along with cocoa and just a hint of cinnamon, as a background flavor more than an upfront spice, followed by a long, smooth finish. It's complex, and leaves your tongue working in your mouth savoring the aftertaste. It is extremely smooth.

This is clearly top shelf, screw top or no. It is really well balanced, with some of the flavors l think Vizcaya may have had in mind when they built theirs. However, Santiago is subtle and well balanced with less cinnamon (my call on Vizcaya's unique "tropical" flavor). This rum will of course compliment cigars; that's obvious. It comes across like a fine cognac, but with that extra bit of character that you get from a good rum. It is, in a word, delicious. It's hard to say what this fine premium rum might sell for, when you can buy Mt. Gay XO for $32 ( a rum that came to mind as I sipped this.) Although they have different flavor profiles, Santiago has that same sort of knife edge balance. On the other hand, people pay $55 or $60 for Angostura 12, and as far as I can see, this rum is certainly in that class. My guess is that if they sold it here for $50-70 I'm sure they'd have no trouble finding buyers, so I'd put it up with the heavy weights in terms of quality and style. A great gift, I look forward to becoming more familiar with Santiago Anejo Superior as I continue to enjoy it. It's terrific, exactly the kind of stuff I like.

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-13-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions