MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

499 years ago in 1523, The first sugar cane processing plant on Puerto Rico is built.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Coastie Mike

Default Ron Coba 12 Yr Rum

Has anyone tried this rum? I've searched the forums...no mention of it? I have a buddy that said he can score me a few bottles if I am interested.
Is it worth getting? Also, what would one expect to pay for this rum??

This is the only info I have found on Ron Coba:
This superior 12 year old Rum comes from a traditional, four generation distillery dedicated to Rum production. Ron Cobá has been aged in White Oak Barrels, giving it its smooth character and bouquet. The quality of Ron Cobá lies in two things: the distillation process, and the aging process, based on the blending of the product. We only use the finest rums, blending the best-aged ones to obtain its harmonious, mellow, and smooth bouquet. Ron Cobá rum is made in small batch productions to keep a better control of the final quality.
Every bottle of Ron Cobá is blown glass, with a hand painted Iguana, symbol of its roots from the beautiful Mayan region.
Tradition entices you! Ron Cobá captures you!

Last edited by Coastie Mike; 08-05-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Coastie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Coastie Mike

Question

Wow...So either no one has ever tried this rum or I'm being black balled...lol
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Rum Runner

I have never run across it. I believe it may have been a private label that came out of the Achurra Distillery in Mexico some years ago. It seems to have gone "poof" pretty quickly.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Coastie Mike

Rum Runner, you are correct on where it was produced.
Here's a little more info found on the web:
RON COBÁ, a small batch, añejo agricole rhum made at the Achurra Distillery
located on the Yucatan coast. The rum is barrel-aged a minimum 12-years in oak.

My buddy said the sole distributor went belly up and that the guy he knows bought the remaining cases.

Last edited by Coastie Mike; 08-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Rum Runner

Mike...This may be the first time I've heard of where rumdog007 did not buy all the remaining stock of a close-out in the USA.

The task remains upon you to do the right thing and get your mitts on some and report back. Then get your buddy to put the rest up for Auction here on MoR-Bay. It's the least you can do.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Coastie Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Then get your buddy to put the rest up for Auction here on MoR-Bay. It's the least you can do.
I was planning on putting them on auction...LOL
As of now, I've been told that I can get four cases. But, only six bottles come to a case (I always thought 12 bottles came to a case unless they were 1.75ml bottles).
I dont know if I should get one case or four due to the price? Also, living in MA I cant have them shipped here so I have to take a road trip.
I'm thinking that once I get them safely back home I'll have to invite a few of the local MA MOR guys over to do a tasting
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

6 packs of spirits aren't uncommon. It is interesting that this is described as 'agricole rhum', a description that indicates to me that it was produced in the last four years. Before 2006, no one outside the French islands ever called a rum 'agricole' and certainly not 'agricole rhum.'

To me this indicates a marketing ploy since Ron means rum in Spanish and agricole rhum is definitely French and there has been little connection between the sugar cane spirit makers in the Caribbean Basin.

If Ron Coba is made from fresh sugar cane juice as it is in the French islands it would be a real departure from the Mexican tradition of using molasses to make rum.

But a little more research it turns out that this product was approved for importation to the US on November 22, 1999 by the Zuma Importing Company, Tucker, GA, several years before anyone in the US even used the words agricole rhum to market any sugar cane spirit. Even the French rums were sold as rum.

Without casting doubt of the quality of this rum, I'm surprised that I've never heard of Ron Coba, but then there are a lot of rums I haven't seen or tasted.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Before 2006, no one outside the French islands ever called a rum 'agricole' and certainly not 'agricole rhum.'
I hate to disagree with you Ed, especially on what is a minor point, but I know of one rum from Japan which claims to be an agricole and was made from about 2004 or 2005.

The company, Grace Rum, initially produced three rums, but it now seems that this agricole has fallen by the wayside, as has their Premium. I am unsure as to the current status of this company and their website appears not to have been updated for some time.

I learned about these rums back in 2006 but I never came across them while living in Japan, and since returning to the UK I have tried to contact the company but received no reply.

http://www.qualityrum.com/products/#a000410

Last edited by gatomalo; 08-07-2009 at 07:39 AM.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Coastie Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Before 2006, no one outside the French islands ever called a rum 'agricole' and certainly not 'agricole rhum.'
This lesson plan, copyright 2004, uses the term rhum agricole to describe ron coba rum.
http://www.rumshop.net/RU/files/lesson11.pdf

An article in this link makes mention of it being served at a bar and grill. The article is dated Feb 2004.
http://www.fbworld.com/Mag_feb_2004/Editorial/toque%20chicago/toqueChicago.html

Last edited by Coastie Mike; 08-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Rum Runner

I read Ayala's reference to Ron Coba as agricole rhum. It's unclear to me if the importer ever promoted it as such. It's possible the importer claimed it to be made from cane juice and Ayala just made the lump judgment in how to describe it....Beats me. Either way, it's safe to say Ron Coba was a short stay.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions