MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
primate77

Default Bardinet - Rhum Negrita

Anyone ever heard of this rum (rhum)???

I was picking out a sipping whiskey for a friend in Minnesota this week in an MGM Liquors (local chain outlet), and in the rum section, which was not outstanding in any way, had a bottle of this sitting on the top shelf. $18.99 a bottle.

I've never seen or heard of this before. From Guadeloupe I believe.

I took a pass on it... now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have?
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

We have Rhum Negrita and Negrita Spice for sale here, but I've never tried them. They seem like generic rums to me so I've never tried them either. Of course I could be wrong.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Rum Runner

I have had Negrita in the past. It's most popular use is by chefs in cooking. The price has gone way up since I last had it!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
bunnyhugs

I think I tried it a couple of years ago on holiday in Cambodia. They have lots of French products there.

I remember it being reasonable, similar to the Barbancourt rums but rougher. It's been a while though and I could be totally wrong.

I found this little bar with quite a nice rum selection and I ended up trying about 4 rums, all French (but don't think any were agricole). One was some kind of Barbancourt - no idea of the age though. I remember finding they were mostly linked by a common taste - sort of sharp and 'raisiny'.

One had a large exotic bird (maybe a toucan) on the label. I can't remember the name of the rum now but it was nice and I liked the label art.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
rumdog007

I first read about this rum in the front of Jeff Berry's books where he lists all of the rums and their origins. He stated something to the tune of "...avoid this harsh candy-like rum...". I found some in Denver at Argonaut Liquor and had a few swigs. It's no that bad. But, certainly this is no sipper. Rum Runner is on the money about cooking with it. Also, as an addition to sauces, it's wonderful. I have invented a few cocktails which now depend on it as a tasty ingredient. It's very strong sweet taste is a perfect complement to any drink with a bitter/tart citrus. It plays well with Fee's grapefruit bitters or, better, Campari. Many of the Italian potable bitters work great with it. I find Rhum Negrita truly unique. It's bottled at 80% for import to the US. But, I think the I saw it at a much higher proof will in the islands. I could be wrong on that, though.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
gatomalo

Bardinet is a French company (see link below) which produces a number of rums, the most popular being their Rhum Negrita which is usually found in Europe (in France and Spain particularly) on the bottom shelf of supermarkets and liquor stores for a ridiculously low price. It is certainly not a sipper, in fact it has a reputation as being a very cheap and nasty rum, more suited to cooking as opposed to anything else. Having tried this rum several times (usually owing to a lack of alternatives) I tend to agree with this view.

http://www.bardinet.fr/

Last edited by gatomalo; 09-23-2008 at 01:49 PM.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
TheRumelier

I thought it was from Martinique, but after checking the website I see it is a blend of rums from Martinique, Guadeloupe and Reunion Islands and blended in France. A well travelled rum even before it is exported again allover the world. I love the old style label and I know a lot of people out there still have one with the palm/cane leaf wrapped around it in the old French style. A great collectable even if only for it's looks!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I love the old style label and I know a lot of people out there still have one with the palm/cane leaf wrapped around it in the old French style. A great collectable even if only for it's looks!!
I've never seen the palm/cane leaf wrap-around, I assume you're going back some years, right?

When I lived in Spain my flatmates and I almost always had a bottle of Negrita kicking around the house. It would usually sit on the kitchen side untouched for months on end, being consumed only in times of emergency.

Apparently it is the best-selling dark rum in France!
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Sinaasappel

Wink

I'm drinking the "Rhum Negrita Bardinet" right now with chilled Coca-Cola and a little bit of mint.
It's a sweet rum that goes with cocktails but to drink it pure, that's another story. I wouldn't advise it to be drunken on a pure man(n?)er.

*It's a suprise for me that this brand has the no.1 selling position on the black rum market in France. I was convinced that, that spot was taken by Bacardi.
In belgium this is certainly not a common rum.

*2 The reason that I wrote this message is because of this Rum. I found it in 1 of mine drinking cabinets wich hasn't been cleared out for a long time. It has an old artwork and was under layers of dust.
Sinaasappel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions