MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

374 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Falkirkbairn

Smile Fantasy Rum List-On a Budget!

Hi,

I'm a very recent convert to the wonder of rum, and as a result so are my drinking buddies!

Having worked our way through a few of the more readily available rums, we're sticking some cash together to get a few more interesting ones. The plan was to order from http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products...text=Truncated and we've got about £150 to spend. Just wondered if anyone fancied putting forward suggestions of a list to order? Looking for a few different styles to keep expanding our knowledge, but we know we're not experts, so i'd say probably real top of the range stuff may well be lost on us at this point.

Ones to avoid (as we've tried):

All of Standard Havana range
Goslings black seal
Angostura 1919
Sailor Jerry
Mount Gay

Quite fancy Foursquare and El Dorado from what i've read, so any additions to that would be good!

I look forward to any input, and thankyou in advance.

Last edited by Falkirkbairn; 10-02-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more specific url
Falkirkbairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Scottes

The Foursquare is highly recommended, and the El Dorado - though it depends on which one exactly. I've had the 15- and 21-year-old and they are fantastic, though if you're on a budget you might consider the 12. Your list to stay away from is generally OK, though there are some gems in those lines. In my opinion the Ron Zacapa 23-year-old is a must (holy crap that's expensive on that site!!) - unless you would rather have a less-sweet, richer rum, and then the Zaya is a must. The Appleton 12-year-old is very nice for a good price. Barbancourt 8-year-old (5-Star) is highly recommended, and a bargain (almost). Doorly's XO is quite nice - complex, and finished in a used sherry cask. Very interesting. Flor De Cana 18-year-old gets a lot of recommendations but I've never had the luck to try it myself. Clement Premiere Cannes for an agricole - have you ever had an agricole? If not, you might want to try the Clement VSOP instead. Santa Teresa 1796 is fantastic.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Falkirkbairn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
The Foursquare is highly recommended, and the El Dorado - though it depends on which one exactly. I've had the 15- and 21-year-old and they are fantastic, though if you're on a budget you might consider the 12. Your list to stay away from is generally OK, though there are some gems in those lines. In my opinion the Ron Zacapa 23-year-old is a must (holy crap that's expensive on that site!!) - unless you would rather have a less-sweet, richer rum, and then the Zaya is a must. The Appleton 12-year-old is very nice for a good price. Barbancourt 8-year-old (5-Star) is highly recommended, and a bargain (almost). Doorly's XO is quite nice - complex, and finished in a used sherry cask. Very interesting. Flor De Cana 18-year-old gets a lot of recommendations but I've never had the luck to try it myself. Clement Premiere Cannes for an agricole - have you ever had an agricole? If not, you might want to try the Clement VSOP instead. Santa Teresa 1796 is fantastic.

Thanks for your reply Scottes,

you've made points on a lot of things/brands i was hoping someone would!! No, as far as i'm aware i've never had an agricole-what difference is it in comparison to standard rum? Of the rum's you mention, are they all sipping rums, or would some of them be appreciated with a mixer? My apologies, but as i said, we're all very novice rum drinkers!
Falkirkbairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Berbician

I would also recommend Barbancourt 8 year old (far too good for mixing) - the 4 year old is pretty good too. Also, almost anything from El Dorado.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
cigar-aficionado

You really should make the effort to try Ron Zacapa as this is quite often the benchmark rum for many others. Doorly's XO is another good, and quite cheap, Barbados rum as well Have you checked out Drinkfinder.com for their range as well?
cigar-aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Hank Koestner

Doorly's and Ron Zacapa highly recomended. Try the Clement VSOP for Agricole, the Premiere Canne is blended down to 40 ABV, not the best rep of a white Agricole, but a decent rhum nonetheless. I personally like Havana Club and the 1919, you may want to try those again at a later date.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Angostura 1824 and El Dorado 15 (15year not listed on that site). Don't buy the Zacapa 23 from that site as it is way overpriced even though it is good.

I may add a few more recommendations to this post later, I have a few unopened bottles here...
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Torpnubber

In addition to those mentioned previously, I would consider

Cockspur 12 YO
Inner Circle
Stroh

All seem to be affordable, relatively speaking
Torpnubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
bluewave6

I would also suggest:
Botran Solera
Barcelo Imperial
Ron Ocumare
Cohete Gold
Brugal Anejo
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Scottes

All the rums I mentioned are sippable, though both Clements and the Appleton are mixable, too. (Well, all of the can be mixed but the others shouldn't be.)

If you've never had an agricole, I can't recommend the Premiere Cannes though the VSOP is still recommended. As has been mentioned, don't get the Zacapa from this site. That's 3 times more expensive than what I pay.

If you're looking for good mixing rums, I'd drop the Appleton Extra and go with the Appleton V/X. Or even the Appleton Special Gold is my new stand-by general mixing rum - the V/X is better but stronger and the Special is more versatile in my opinion. And the V/X is more versatile than the Extra for the same reason.

The Cockspur 5-star Fine Rum is also very good for mixing (I don't think I'd mix with the Cockspur 12 - though it can be done it's too good.) The Cruzan Single Barrel is another great rum, sippable and also mixable - though some might say that it's too good and too mild for mixing, and I won't argue that opinion. But it makes a damned fine drink in the right cocktail. The Clement VSOP is another that can make a good mixer - it's a very good intro to aged agricoles and if you don't like it neat then it can be used for very good mixing.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions