MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

393 years ago in 1627, the English established the first colony on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Review: Angostura Royal Oak Select

A new review exclusively for the Ministry of Rum.

Angostura Royal Oak Select 87/100

20 years ago my wife and I spent three weeks in Tobago at the Turtle beach Resort. At the time I was a whisky drinker and not a fan of rum at all. However, when in Rome....

So at the hotel and on the beach I drank rum. And I liked it. What they were serving me was a locally produced rum and although 20 years have past I do believe it was Angostura Royal Oak Select. I went back to Canada with two 40 ounce bottles but alas they are long gone. I went back to drinking whisky, as the Rums available in my locale just didn't measure up. It was during the recent rum explosion that my palate for rum has been rekindled. Flor de Cana, Ron Matusalem, and El Dorado have helped to bring me back in the fold.

But wouldn't you know a couple weeks ago I found 3 Bottles of Royal Oak Select covered in dust in a local liquor store. The proprietor said they were new stock, the dust said otherwise, but I bought all three to see if that rum still tasted as good as 20 years ago.

In the Bottle (4.0/5)

This is kind of a early 80s style glass bottle, screw top, and clear glass.. Nothing fancy, but this rum only cost me 20 bucks a bottle so I don't expect much.

In the Glass (8.5/10)

The rum is aptly named as it has a nice golden colour. It is a little darker than than I would expect for a 3 to 6 yr old rum. I smell lots of caramel and a light smell of coconut. It nice but I wonder if caramel has been added to achieve the colour.

In the Mouth (53/60)

This has a sweet caramel flavour. If caramel has been added it does not bother me. Taste is what counts and this tastes nice. I can taste that hint of coconut I smelled in the glass and also a mellow spiciness. Everything is light and relaxed.

In the Throat (12/15)

The finish is tight with little to no oil to lengthen the experience. A nice burn, but things are a little rough on the way down. The younger spirits in the blend have their say in the throat.

The Afterburn (9.5/10)

Going through my scores I was surprised that each part of the drink experience had not scored higher. I like this rum. Its not outstanding, but it is a very pleasant diversion. I have tried it in a few cocktails and the results have been stellar. Mixed with coke it is outstanding. I guess that is why I like it so much. I like to mix and this rum has been great in every type of rum drink I tried. I even prefer it to Flor de Cana in my Sloe Lime Daiquiri. So I'm bumping up the score in the afterburn because the rum is more than the sum of its experiences.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 09-02-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Edoc

Default Thanks for the review

Nice review. I'm a big fan of all Angostura's rums.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Edge

I'm new to Angostura's rums, but after trying a bottle of Zaya (Trinidad), I'm quite impressed. I've typically been a Cruzan SBE/Anniversario Pampero drinker, but I'm going to find some Angostura's this week and try some more of them out.

Great review!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
TheRumelier

Mr. Wolf, how do you compare it to the other Angostura offerings, 1919 & 1824?? I find there is quite a variation between these two and most of their other rums, but all good in their own way.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
Mr. Wolf, how do you compare it to the other Angostura offerings, 1919 & 1824?? I find there is quite a variation between these two and most of their other rums, but all good in their own way.
At this time I have tried the 1919 only once at a friends house. I had two glasses, one neat and the other mixed with coke. I would have tried it more often but my friend seemed to like it too much and the next time I visited it was all gone.

My memory of that one taste was that it was much smoother than the Royal Oak, but with a similar flavour profile. Whereas the Royal Oak is great in cocktails and rum cokes I would suggest that the 1919 would be more suitable for drinking neat or sipping with just a dash of coke. (It probably would make great cocktails but as royal Oak does fine their I think I would sip the 1919.)

As for the 1824, I have two bottles, in my collection based upon a small sip I had at CSN Liquor Store in Calgary. I remember that I was somewhat blown away the flavour. I remember a robust flavour profile but I am not sure whether i would consider it as smooth as the 1919.

I should warn you though that giving you my impressions after such a small sample (for both the 1824 and the 1919) is like recommending to your friend that he should marry a woman you have met only once. Such a rcommendation is frought with peril. At some point this winter I plan to open the 1824 and do a proper assessment. But I have far too many bottles open nowat the moment which must be consumed first.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
TheRumelier

I like the Royal Oak as a mixer too. I like the flavour it pushes through the mixer, usually ginger ale for me. Another rum that does that for me is the Appleton Special Gold. I have neglected the Royal Oak recently, so that sounds like a plan for Monday Night Football tonight, and it is reasonably priced here at US$13:99.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Arctic Wolf

I think we are in 100% agreement on Appleton VX. I've never reviewed it but it is my standard mixer when I have a larger crowd to please. I rarely encounter anyone who dislikes the it. In fact when I did my interview for Rum Connection and was asked what my favourite non premium gold rum was, I first rum I mentioned was Appleton VX.

The Angostura Royal Oak surprised me when I tried it. I had remembered how much I liked it in Tobago, but that was 20 years ago. It was nice to find it again, and discover that even though it is inexpensive ($20 CAN), it still tasted so nice.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums