MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

162 years ago in 1858, Rhums Saint Maurice was established in French Guiana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Tiare

Default Grapefruit Bitters

I started a batch of Grapefruit bitters yesterday (using pink grapefruit) and here is the recipe (Gumbopages):

GRAPEFRUIT BITTERS

* One 750ml bottle Wray & Nephew Overproof White Rum (126 proof)
* 2 large grapefruits
* 1-1/2 heaping tablespoons coriander seed
* 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch on each side
* 1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
* 6 tablespoon sugar
* 3 tablespoons water

Peel the grapefruits and finely chop the whole peel, including (and especially) the white pith; that's where you're going to get most of your bitter component for these bitters. Peel, thinly slice and then julienne the ginger, and roughly chop the cashews.

In a large jar with a rubber seal, add the grapeferuit peel, coriander seed, ginger and cashews and pour in the rum. Seal and keep for one week, gently agitating the mixture daily.

After a week of maceration, strain the mixture through a fine sieve and then again through a coffee filter. Finish the recipe by adding caramelized sugar syrup -- place the sugar in a small, heavy pan and heat over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns light-to-medium brown (be careful not to burn it). Remove from the heat and carefully add the water. Stir and/or swirl until all the sugar has dissolved. Add the syrup to the bitters and let stand until it's clear, then bottle for use.

Tomorrow i`m going to make a kaffir lime syrup. (can`t really stay away from those syrups...)

I also made a batch of another recipe which in my opinion is more of a Grapefruit bitter campari flavored syrup, but instead of vodka i used the JW&N overproof. Anyway, whether you call it grapefruit bitters or bitter syrup it tastes good.

RECIPE

These homemade bitters combine grapefruit with Campari, JW&N 151, and vermouth for a sweet, tart, and very bitter concoction.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 medium grapefruit
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup Campari
* 1 cup JW&N 151
* 3/4 cup sweet vermouth

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Halve grapefruit. Juice one half, reserve juice, and discard rind. Coarsely chop remaining half and reserve.
2. Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, and let syrup simmer until it thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chopped grapefruit and cook until grapefruit releases all its juice, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Combine cooled grapefruit syrup (including chopped fruit), reserved juice, Campari, W&N 151, and sweet vermouth in a large container with a tight-fitting lid. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 03-30-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
SamuraiBartender

Thumbs up

Neat-looking recipes! I imagine the Cashews provide some interesting twist(s) on the overall flavor - though I'm wondering if the Gapefruit pith alone will supply enough bitter flavor.

For example, the lemon bitters I made (as well, I'm informed, Regan's Orange bitters) likewise use citrus peel with the pith still on it, but there are other not-insignificant quanities of (incredibly bitter) herbs: quassia, gentian &c. also included...

That second "syrup" recipe sounds similarly interesting - I agree: not quite a 'bitters' but certainly a cool flavor addition/modifier.

Regardless, cheers & good luck with these, let us know how the project comes along...
SamuraiBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Tiare

I wrote Bitter Grapefruit Syrup on the label of my bottle. I really like the taste and maybe that is very much due to that i`m totally and forever addicted to Campari..(the old formula - check my thread about the Campari formula change in other discussions) as well as loving pink grapefruits.
Its a nice color on this syrup as well, very brilliant red. It has a bitter and a little bit smoky (?) taste.

By the end of this week the bitters will be ready to taste. In the mean time i`m going to make 2 other syrups, a kaffir lime and a pandanus made with Billington`s light Muscovado sugar and maybe something else.

Last edited by Tiare; 03-31-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Tiare

Now my grapefruit bitters are ready and i just caramelized the sugar for the syrup. The only grapefruit bitter i have to compare with is Fees.
The flavors are not surprisingly very different. The home made has much more bitterness but also more depth and complexity.
It has a nice orangey color.

Then it has a hint of that special taste from the JW&N overproof rum.

My pimento dram #3 is also readymade today and its just wonderful! very deep and spicy flavor.

Last edited by Tiare; 04-05-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses