MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

527 years ago in 1493, Columbus established the first European colony in the New World on Hispaniola.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
ballesteros1992

Default What does the perfect rum taste like?

I know rum comes in a whole lot of different kind of flavors, so the answers to follow below will be greatly personal.

What does the perfect Rum taste like?

I recently ran into a homemade batch of rum. I thought it was great but a friend of mine said that the aftertaste was too much of fruits and that this wasn't a quality appreciated in rum.

Since I'm new to this rum world I was wondering if it was a matter of personal preference or if he was right?

I am eager to hear all of your opinions, both on the taste you prefer in rum and you thoughts on a "fruity" aftertaste.
ballesteros1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballesteros1992 View Post
I know rum comes in a whole lot of different kind of flavors, so the answers to follow below will be greatly personal.

What does the perfect Rum taste like?

I recently ran into a homemade batch of rum. I thought it was great but a friend of mine said that the aftertaste was too much of fruits and that this wasn't a quality appreciated in rum.

Since I'm new to this rum world I was wondering if it was a matter of personal preference or if he was right?

I am eager to hear all of your opinions, both on the taste you prefer in rum and you thoughts on a "fruity" aftertaste.
A fruity taste is absolutely permissible (the Port Mourant variant of Guyanese rums is a case in point) - so long as it is not overwhelming (such as the orange intensity of the Pyrat's line, which I don't care for). My own feeling is that it's about balance between fruit and spice and oak and overall taste.

The "perfect rum" - it's all about personal preference. Some like sweet, some dry, some strong, some 40%. Not everyone likes rums neat - a lot of people use 'em as mixers. Some excoriate the additives rum producers put into their rums, others don't care. For example, I have a weakness for old cask strength Demeraras but not everyone agrees. With that kind of a range of opinions, there can never be a perfect rum. Better to experiment, taste around, and say which ones are perfect for you.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
ed anger

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva has a complex, fruity taste, and I love it. Where as I can't really stand Pyrat either, I find it unsubtle. It all depends on how it's done.
ed anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
mamajuana

I just had this rum called Armazem Vieira Onix. A 16 year rum from Brazil. This rum is a perfect rum no doubt.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Carl

The perfect rum is the one that makes you want to put on your eyepatch and go "Aarrgh Billy. Has ye never been to sea?"
Screech or Old Sam. I like a lot of others, but I keep going back to these.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
SeldomSeen

The perfect Rum is generally the one in my glass.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
DJ Mal

I don't believe I'll ever find the perfect rum. But I sure am enjoying trying to find it.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
ballesteros1992

So I guess its just a mater of taste and personal preference. I´ll keep in mind your opinions (and the ones to come, I do hope this thread grows).

I am so interested to know you opinions because my friend and I are planing on opening a distillery some time in the near future. We came across this great traditional homemade rum and are using it as a base to create our own great experience.

If some of you guys are interested I will be more than happy to post updates as our plans move along and share our story. I believe that what I have read (and the loads of stuff i still have to read) will help us guide our project in the proper direction.

So far we are looking for a rum taster here in Colombia that is willing to help us flavour wise (there part of the reason for my original question).

On the other hand I do have to say that I like the community you guys have going on here.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #9
Carl

Oi! How about a rum taster in the Yukon?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #10
ballesteros1992

I promise that when we get to the point of international sales (yes we are that optimistic) we will need tasters for each new market. If you are up to it we won't doubt it,

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
flavor , fruits , personal opinion , rum