MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

352 years ago in 1670, there were 380 sugar plantations in what is now Guyana. Demerara Sugar and Demerara Rum were known for their quality.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
Maddo

Sounds a lot like my story- I started out with the Rum Howler's blog around a year ago (felt that researching rums helped keep my mind away from my anxiety, oddly enough), and I figured I'd get just a few bottles so that I'd have a nice selection for whenever I was thirsty. Primarily for mixing with coke or other cocktails, but that's how it started.
As of now, the month before Christmas (fingers crossed!) I'm up at about 29 in my collection and probably thousands of dollars poorer- but happy!

I too have a sweet tooth, and while my favourite rum may be a tad expensive for you now (the Millonario XO), I can tell you you'll enjoy those rums you've listed.
I'm glad you opted for the Diplomatico- it was the first premium rum I bought and one of my favourites. You'll definitely love the Zacapa 23 (same 'tier,' little less smooth than the Diplomatico but also a little more complex), so I'd definitely recommend that. The Plantation Guatemala is nice, but if the difference in price between that and the Zacapa isn't too high (it's only a $15 difference here) then I'd jump straight to the Zacapa. Wouldn't buy them both quite yet if you're looking for more variety- I find the Plantation to be similar to the Zacapa but less complex and smooth, and the oak dominates a bit- at least to my underdeveloped tastes.
The FdC 12 is very nice- sweet, fruity, but certainly drier and less syrupy than the Zacapa and Diplomatico. Same with the Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros- a very fine rum, but not as sweet so it won't be as suited for your tastes. Definitely pick up one of them though.

If you're looking for another sweet one, but aren't looking at spending as much as a Zacapa, I'd recommend the Millonario 15. It's sweet and syrupy, but not too expensive and a great sipper. You might also want a Pampero Anniversario, which can be ridiculously cheap in some countries but stupidly expensive over here. Check its price, but it should be right up your alley.
Maddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
AdOrAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-jorge View Post
I bought the diplomatico. I realy liked that.

I also bought 5cl bottles of the El dorado 12/15/21, so I can try those. Yesterday I tried the 12 and the 15... The 12 is sweeter and the flavours are different. I also liked the 15, but not as much as the 12. Tonight i'm gonna try both again.
Good rums!

I used to prefer the 12, now I'm undecided between the 2 but probly leaning towards the 15 for being more complex.
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
el-jorge

Tonight I finally had time to try the 21. Wow, that was a great rum. So first comes the 21 than the 12 and than the 15
el-jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
el-jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddo View Post
Sounds a lot like my story- I started out with the Rum Howler's blog around a year ago (felt that researching rums helped keep my mind away from my anxiety, oddly enough), and I figured I'd get just a few bottles so that I'd have a nice selection for whenever I was thirsty. Primarily for mixing with coke or other cocktails, but that's how it started.
As of now, the month before Christmas (fingers crossed!) I'm up at about 29 in my collection and probably thousands of dollars poorer- but happy!

I too have a sweet tooth, and while my favourite rum may be a tad expensive for you now (the Millonario XO), I can tell you you'll enjoy those rums you've listed.
I'm glad you opted for the Diplomatico- it was the first premium rum I bought and one of my favourites. You'll definitely love the Zacapa 23 (same 'tier,' little less smooth than the Diplomatico but also a little more complex), so I'd definitely recommend that. The Plantation Guatemala is nice, but if the difference in price between that and the Zacapa isn't too high (it's only a $15 difference here) then I'd jump straight to the Zacapa. Wouldn't buy them both quite yet if you're looking for more variety- I find the Plantation to be similar to the Zacapa but less complex and smooth, and the oak dominates a bit- at least to my underdeveloped tastes.
The FdC 12 is very nice- sweet, fruity, but certainly drier and less syrupy than the Zacapa and Diplomatico. Same with the Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros- a very fine rum, but not as sweet so it won't be as suited for your tastes. Definitely pick up one of them though.

If you're looking for another sweet one, but aren't looking at spending as much as a Zacapa, I'd recommend the Millonario 15. It's sweet and syrupy, but not too expensive and a great sipper. You might also want a Pampero Anniversario, which can be ridiculously cheap in some countries but stupidly expensive over here. Check its price, but it should be right up your alley.
Thanks for your advice.
I want to start around the middle in price range, and work up to the more expensive rums. Between the FdC and the havana, i'm gonna start with the FdC, it is around € 20,- cheaper than the Havana. The Millonario is hard to get in these parts, gonna have to ask my liquoir store if he can get it.

I just made a shopping list:
El Dorado 21
El Dorado 12
Ron Zacapa Centenario 23
Flor de Cana 12
Old 12-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #15
thefatrumpirate

If you wish to explore ALL (well most kinds of rum available) then I would suggest the following. These are all relatively inexpensive rums but offer a good entry into the various styles. They aren't necessarily the BEST rum's in their category but for a beginner probably the best way to avoid spending big money on rum you will not enjoy. It is perhaps unlikely any rum drinker will find all the styles suit their tastes.

Most of these rums are mixing rums but many are good enough to be considered sippers. Some are simply to rough and ready to sip.

If you enjoy these then you may wish to consider more aged variants from the sames producers, distillers or bottlers

Bajan Rum (From Barbados) This is a light often golden rum which (by law) is not permitted to have any additives other than caramel for colour. It is pure rum.

Cockspur Fine Rum, Doorlys XO, Mount Gay

Jamaican Rum (Jamaica, obviously!) Again very little is allowed by way of additives. These are often very distinctive in flavour. It's a hard taste to define its often described as "funk". They are BIG on flavour.

Appleton VX, Hampden Estate, Myers, J Wray and Nephew White Overproof

Cuban Style Rum (Mainly Cuba but also the Dominican Republic's rum are similar as are many Spanish speaking countries and islands) These are lighter rums, often good paired with cigars. Often more oak and tobacco than sweeter fruity rums such as Demerara's. A Cuban white rum is often good for mixing

Havana Club Anejo Especial, Ron Cubay White, Ron Abuelo 7 Anos (Pamanian but Cuban in style)

Demerara Rum (Guyana) These are usually dark, sweet rums. The most famous of these are the El Dorado rums but Demerara Distillers rum is sold in bulk and can be found in most "Navy" rum blends

El Dorado 8 Years, Pussers Blue Label (this is a navy rum which is a blend of Demerara and Trinidadian rum), Woods 100

Rhum Agricole (French speaking Islands such as Martinique) This is a cane juice rum with a very distinctive vegetal taste. I find it very similar to Cachaca (but much more pricey). I don't much enjoy this rum to be honest

Barbancourt 5 star (some would say its not technically a Agricole), La Mauny VO, St James Royal Ambre

Trindidadian Rum (Trinidad and Tobago) Unfortunately these rums are now only really produced by Angostura. It is the only distillery left on the island. If you enjoy these rum's then you may wish to consider trying some Caroni rum (expensive the distillery is no longer running).

This is quite a difficult rum to categorise as the Caroni rum's are very different to the current Angostura dominated Trinidad rums.

Vat19, Scarlet Ibis, Angostura 1919 (slightly more expensive)

These are historically the more popular styles, however as rum is produced in almost all of the Caribbean (and beyond) several other styles have also come into play.
Central American/Caribbean Premium Rums

Think Ron Zacapa (Guatelmala), Zaya (formerly Guatelmala now Trinidad), Dictador (Colombia), Diplomatico (Venezuela)

These are usually sweet (too sweet for many) rums with premium packaging and price tags to match. In order to get into this market its probably best to try the following

Pampero Anejo (Venezuela), Botran Reserva (Guatemala), Plantation Gran Anejo (Guatemala),

Spiced Rum

Many believe that several of the rums in the previous category should be classed as "Spiced" or flavoured rum. However these are rums which are categorised as Spiced. Very popular here in the UK and the US. The US has hundreds of these relatively cheap mixers on offer.

Foursquare Spiced (very authentic), Sailor Jerry (uses a decent base rum), Pussers Spiced (again authentic but not to everyone's tastes.

Navy Rum (Royal British Navy)

The navy style rum's produced today are often a blend of rums from several different Caribbean islands. They are dark and often bottled at over 100 proof. Though this is not necessary to make it a Navy STYLE rum. You may see rums (such as Smith and Cross Jamaica Rum) state they are navy strength (ie over 100 proof) this does not mean they will have the same flavour as a Navy Style rum. Confused? Welcome to the world of rum!

Navy style rums usually have a fair chunk of Demerara rum in their composition.

Pussers Blue Label, Woods 100, Lambs

So I think that pretty much somes up how to (relatively) inexpensively start a varied rum shelf. There are a few notable cheaper rums which I haven't been able to fit into any particular category namely Goslings Black Seal (Bermuda) a dark molasses rich almost spiced rum which is an excellent mixer, Bacardi 8 (this is a rum from the Bahamas very different to the usual Bacardi fair) and Old Grog (Grenada) which is a very banana-ey rum.

I have also omitted, though I feel they need a mention the XM run of Caribbean Rum's which are bottled in Guyana and are very similar in terms of profile to the El Dorado rum's. The reason they are due only an honourable mention is that the rum used in the XM is no longer Demerara rum (I was shocked as they are VERY similar to El Dorado's rum's) and I do not know the origin of the rum used. They are excellent though and the VXO (7 year old) is a bargain if you can find it.

Oh and of course! Always worth a mention is the wonderful Chairmans Reserve from St Lucia (St Lucia distillers are fantastic producers).

I've no doubt missed a few others but these are all fairly decent cheapish rums.

Hope this helps. If you wish to research more my blog features reviews of most of these rums and many more!

Last edited by thefatrumpirate; 12-11-2014 at 06:24 AM.
thefatrumpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
el-jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatrumpirate View Post
...!
Thanks for the extensive reply.

I'm gonna start with rums that are in the range of the taste I like, and then go further. your post is going to help with that.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions