MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

27 years ago in 1992, King of Diamonds was launched as a domestic brand in Guyana. King of Diamonds was replaced by the El Dorado brand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Guy stowell

Default Rum tour of the caribbean

Im planning on going to the caribbean in about a year to visit as many rum distilleries as I can (until my money runs out!), thought you guys might be the right people to ask for tips, if anybody has any places to recommend or any advice in general would be much appreciated as I want to start planning for it now!
Guy stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I've heard good things about the Bacardi tour despite the fact that no-one cares too much for their rum. KrustyKrab was there and appeared to like it. You can read about this visit here.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Silvio View Post
I've heard good things about the Bacardi tour despite the fact that no-one cares too much for their rum. KrustyKrab was there and appeared to like it. You can read about this visit here.
Yes, the bacardi distillery was a decent stop if you are going to be in PR. It was cool to see how 'large scale' everything was. I would have liked to have been able to contrast it with a smaller distillery that, I imagine, would have been much more personal. Also on the Count's website is a description of a tour of the Anquilla distillery that produces Pyrat Rum - that sounds pretty cool!

Where are you planning to go? On a family vacation this past Feb I went on a rum tour of the islands - not distillerys, unfortunately, but got to try lots of rums and bring back loads of great products! We went to PR, Dom Rep, USVI, and Turks - a lot of fun!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
cigar-aficionado

Mountgay and Foursquare on Barbados are good ones and there are some really interesting ones in Cuba as well
cigar-aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustykrab View Post
Also on the Count's website is a description of a tour of the Anquilla distillery that produces Pyrat Rum - that sounds pretty cool!
Actually, the Pyrat facility is a blending operation and not a distillery. Not that they don't blend some good rum but if you're looking for a distillery you'll have to go somewhere else.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Actually, the Pyrat facility is a blending operation and not a distillery. Not that they don't blend some good rum but if you're looking for a distillery you'll have to go somewhere else.
Oh, yes... forgot about that, although it still sounded very interesting to visit!

Thanks for the correction!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Guy stowell

Thanks for those replies, sorry for the slow response, I have not had much access to the internet recently. I will be sure to check out the bacardi distillery as it sounded very interesting in your article Krustycrab and also the foursquare distillery as I am a fan of this rum.
I was wondering what it would be like to go to Martinique, are their good distillery tours on this Island?
Also just a quick question, do the french own the term "agricole", why can't a rum like 10 cane call its self an agricole if it wanted to?

Last edited by Guy stowell; 06-08-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Guy stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
JMac

Try the tour at ST Lucia distillers....the tour is somewhat short(at least when I took it in 2006). The rum tasting at the end was great as well as the cheap prices!
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy stowell View Post
Also just a quick question, do the french own the term "agricole", why can't a rum like 10 cane call its self an agricole if it wanted to?
The French own the term "AOC Martinique Rhum Agricole", They do not lay claim to the word agricole.

One of the reasons 10 Cane may choose not to use the term agricole is because it is not produced on a french speaking Island.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
The Scribe

Also, other than enthusiasts, and people from the French islands, how many people know what "rhum agricole" is and how it differs from "rum" or any other sugar cane spirit? Besides, what you put on the bottle doesn't matter to me, as long as it's tasty you could put "sugar cane vodka" for all I care.
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions