MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

177 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Caribbean Related Discussion

Getting around the islands can be half the adventure of discovering new rum.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
rum bluff

Default the ultimate rum cruise

Leaveing Sun. on the ultimate rum cruise and hope to load up. RCCl has a cruise leaving Sun. from (Santa Domingo) A+ then to the following islands.
(Guadalope)A+, (Martinique),A+, (St lucia)B, and finishes in (barbados)A+ before a return to the DR. I hope my wife packs lightly.

Tom
rum bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

That 7 day cruise is the one I researched for doing a special rum-based program with RCCI. I've been discussing with them the idea of having one bar on the ship completely stocked with the great rums of the world, doing tastings everyday, issuing a rum passport to all the rum enthusiasts and visiting some of the distilleries along the way. Give us a report when you return.

Bring me back something from Guadeloupe??!!
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
TheRumelier

In my younger days I did a 14 day cruise on the "Amazing Grace" which was the supply ship for their tall sailing boats. We started in Freeport, Bahamas and ended up in Grenada, and flew back through Puerto Rico. A fantastic trip with lots of rum, wish they were still in business as I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think we did 10 or 11 different islands.
But I think the ultimate cruise would be a couple of weeks with Ed on his sailboat going around the islands, you can't beat local knowledge!!!
Maybe some of us should rent a boat one time and go around the islands???
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
rum bluff

I met Ben with you in Tampa and hope to get an inside tour of Clement. This would certainly seem to be full of rum locations. They often won't let you bring rum aboard. I own a travel agency so if you need help with a cruise project give me a call. I'll be at the Miami boat show in Feb. maybe we get tip a few then. If I can figure out how to ship the rums from the Islands I'll be in business. Otherwise I see major frustration in picking and chooseing which ones to bring back. We are flying from Orlando.

Tom
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
rum bluff

My friend just brought back a bottle of the new bambarra 8 year from The Rumelier home island. He is a lucky guy to have good access to this spirit as it was cracked and half gone in 30 minutes with my rum running friends. Very good for a brief history.
Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Tom and all,

I'll be at the boat show in Miami in February, as always, and look forward to the opportunity to meet up with friends from the forum. Further discussion of rum cruises is welcome.

I predict that rum-based travel itineraries will be all the rage in the near future, especially when a group of enthusiasts can come together and spend quality time doing what they love most - enjoying the noble spirit in its native context.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
I predict that rum-based travel itineraries will be all the rage in the near future, especially when a group of enthusiasts can come together and spend quality time doing what they love most - enjoying the noble spirit in its native context.
I had the same thought Robert upon reading the account of the excursion which Ed and you took last year to Venezuela. It seemed at the time that the trip might also serve as reconnaissance for a future tour. Of course the two of you would have to lead such tours, thereby providing access to your store of rum lore, local knowledge and suitably salty tales.

We await "Rums of the Eastern Caribbean Tour", followed closely (or preceded) by "Rums of Central America" and "Rums of South America". Time and finances willing the MOR should provide a ready audience.

Last edited by Michael; 01-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We await "Rums of the Eastern Caribbean Tour", followed closely (or preceded) by "Rums of Central America" and "Rums of South America". Time and finances willing the MOR should provide a ready audience.
Whether done by a 4 or 6 berth yacht Captained or by a full blown Cruise Ship..it's a great idea. Seconds here Michael.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum bluff View Post
My friend just brought back a bottle of the new bambarra 8 year from The Rumelier home island. He is a lucky guy to have good access to this spirit as it was cracked and half gone in 30 minutes with my rum running friends. Very good for a brief history.
Tom
It has been a great success so far after a couple of little hiccups. It is currently out selling the Silver version. I actually think we priced it too low for a premium rum $16:99 retail. I love it, but it is dangerous, like you say before you know it, half a bottle is gone. I worked hard on this blend but it has been totaly worth it to hear the reviews of it so far and to see the initial reaction, especially from the locals. They have to like it for it to be a success. On the rocks it is great. My local bar has it waiting for me when I walk in!!! I have a bottle going Ed and Rumdog 007 and will personally deliver a bottle to Rum Runner in a weeks time. Sorry it wasn't ready when Mrs. Burr was here but hopefully will get one to Coral Gables soon. All this has made me thirsty.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
rum bluff

Thumbs up

Well we made it back with 4 bags ,each at 49+lbs. After 3 or 4 customs check we were prepared to pay the necessary tarrifs for our booty but luck was on our side. Sixteen bottles including a Mt Gay tricentenial made it back to the states.
We were unable to visit Guadaloupe as the service industries were on strike. So off to St Kitts. This ended up being the least expensive place port to buy Rum. Even those from the other Islands we visited were less here.

Martinique is as all have said, loaded with options but very pricey even at the distillery such as Clement. We picked up a couple selections from each distillery and off to St lucia.
Here Bounty, Elements 8 and the wonderfull Admiral Rodney were brought aboard the ship and checked. The young man who spoke no english, never did quite fiqure out what I was doing checking in all this Rum, but I did notice the ship riding a little low in the water.
Barbados was next with a trip top the Fursquare distillery. Had to meet with the blender to procure RL Seale as it was not to be found. He clarified a prevous MOR question that the 10 year OLD Brigad while in the same bottle is a differnt formulation. His comment was that the Seale was better. Can't argue with him!
If you still have have room in the luggage, there is an excellant selectiion at the duty free at Santa Domingo airport. Save room for the Fuente Opus at the duty free as well.
The ships selection was horrible with white and amber Bacardi and the Captain. Had to sneak in a little good stuff.
Tom

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion