MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

59 years ago in 1960, Embottelladora Azuaya SA was established in Ecuador.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Schock Therapy

Default Choosing a premium priced rum...

I have slowly been building a modest rum collection, and I am enjoying the discover of so many great and unique rums. I am still a little shy about dropping the money for the more premium priced bottles, particularly knowing that on some brands the price has been jacked far beyond what can be blamed on high liquor taxes.
That being said, I was recently given a liquor store gift card, and I have decided to use that to subsidize one of the high end bottles that I have been wanting to try. The problem is, which one? There seem to be a few more to choose from for the Christmas season. Here is whats available in the upper range:

Appleton Master Blenders Legacy cdn$88
Goslings Family Reserve Old $98
Barbancourt 15yo Estate Reserve $75
Santa Theresa Antiguo de Solera $74

My first instinct is to snap up a bottle of the Appleton because I know it is rare, and I know I like Appleton products.

What are your thoughts on the quality and price of these rums?
Schock Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
young0076

Thumbs up

I to am having a hard time deciding what to buy, but I just ordered me a Appleton Estate Estate 12 year after trying both the VX and reserve. Both of those have blown me away, so I await the next bottle once it arrives, and then hopefully off to the 21 year old.

I guess what I am trying to say is, go with you instinct, it worked for me when I picked up my first bottle of Appleton Estates.
young0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Ellis34

Default range

You have a good range of rums there. I am also a fan of Appleton, so I would lean that way. However, all of these are good sippers. I also like the Goslings.

Just a thought; if you are trying to find one that you can drink, don't forget the Zaya and Zacapa 23. They are less expensive than these you have listed and they are very well balanced sipping rums also.

Good Luck!
(I bid farwell while sipping a Zaya neat)
Ellis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
Schock Therapy

I have not tried Zaya or Zacapa because I have never seen them in stores around here. I have tried most of the Ministry recommended offerings that are available around here in the under $50 range. The four that I have listed are the ones that I normally would not buy purely because of price, but hey, it's Christmas, right?

Currently in my rum locker:
Goslings Black Seal
El Dorado 15
Cruzan Single Barrel
Matusalem Gran Reserva
Matusalem Classico
Mount Gay Extra Old
Arecha (yuck...cooking rum! going into Christmas baking!)
Havana Club Anejo Reserva
Havana Club 7 year
Appleton 12 year

Last edited by Schock Therapy; 12-16-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Schock Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Yorkergizer

Where I live, the Zacapa Centenario is $100...
Yorkergizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Rum Runner Imports

I can't help you decide but I can help you taste!

I wouldn't worry about the rarity of Appleton MBL...the liquor branch web site states a total of 80 bottle in Vancouver...its not going anywhere.

Let us know what you ultimately go for.
Rum Runner Imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
dom

Since you love the Appleton line, I would tend to recommend the MLB. Plus it is only available in Canada for now. I have one bottle but I haven't opened it yet. I have tasted the 21 and for me is in my top 5 sipper. I have heard some say that they prefer the MLB to the 21.

If you are planing to go to the US soon you can get the other ones at a way cheaper price. I paid around 40$ for ST Solera in Floria and the Barbancourt was around that price too. I have heard a member say that he paid aroud 50$ for the Gosling old reserve. If you can make a trip to Washington state, maybe you can get those bottle cheaper (I don't know what is available there and the prices). Those liquor boards in Canada sure takes a lot of money from our pocket
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Rumpelteazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis34 View Post
Just a thought; if you are trying to find one that you can drink, don't forget the Zaya and Zacapa 23. They are less expensive than these you have listed and they are very well balanced sipping rums also.
It seems like more and more people are promoting the Zacapa 23 and Zaya as the pinnicle of the rum sipping world.

I suppose you could call them balanced, if you imagine a teeter-totter with a big pile of sugar on one side, and a big pile of flavorings on the other. Yep, it balances!

I see them more as transitional products. For people whose only rum experiences are the over-sweetened and flavored mixing rums like Captain Morgan, a sweetened, flavored sipping rum like Zaya or Zacapa 23 is an easy entry into the world of sippping rums. But it is not the final destination, except as a dessert liqueur.

As soon as your taste buds are up to the challenge, grab some more traditionally styled fine rums like Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton Extra, El Dorado 15, and Matusalem Gran Reserva (or some Havana Club if you're outside the USA). With less sweetness and added flavoring, the true rum characteristics can be appreciated. Then, find some Barbancourt or some AOC rhums. You will begin to understand the subtleties of fine rum.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schock Therapy View Post
I have decided to use that to subsidize one of the high end bottles that I have been wanting to try. The problem is, which one? There seem to be a few more to choose from for the Christmas season. Here is whats available in the upper range:

Hi Shock Therapy,

BC is sadly the province where prices are the highest in Canada. From these choices, I would eliminate all but the Appleton, only for the fact that all other ones are way overpriced. The Santa Teresa is sold under 40$ in the US, and at 54$ in Quebec, the Gosling's is sold at 54$ in Ontario, and the Barbancourt is available at less than 40$ in the States. The MB at 88$ is the same price that you would pay across Canada, and it's not available in the US. If I were you, I would make frequent trips to Seattle.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schock Therapy View Post
I have slowly been building a modest rum collection, and I am enjoying the discover of so many great and unique rums. I am still a little shy about dropping the money for the more premium priced bottles, particularly knowing that on some brands the price has been jacked far beyond what can be blamed on high liquor taxes.
That being said, I was recently given a liquor store gift card, and I have decided to use that to subsidize one of the high end bottles that I have been wanting to try. The problem is, which one? There seem to be a few more to choose from for the Christmas season. Here is whats available in the upper range:

My first instinct is to snap up a bottle of the Appleton because I know it is rare, and I know I like Appleton products.

What are your thoughts on the quality and price of these rums?
I think generally the Canadian alcohol tax is not that high (comparing to Finland heh heh) and most products you have available there are quite the bargain. While I have not tasted the MBL yet I have tasted most other rums in the range (someone send me the 30 year and 250th anniversary edition!) and I could dare to go as far and say that you can't be disappointed in the MBL, if you like the others in the range. In my experience the Appleton lineup consists of very consistent quality products.

While I like Santa Teresa 1796 at the same time I think it is not a very easy to drink rum so it might be a disappointment despite all the praises about it.

I think you have a whole lot of excellent products available in Canada at the LCBO such as English Harbour 5 year old, Pampero Aniversario and even Screech rum and let us not forget about Angostura 1824 (I just ordered a bottle for myself as an early christmas present). I think at one point there was even Banks XM available which is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
It seems like more and more people are promoting the Zacapa 23 and Zaya as the pinnicle of the rum sipping world.

I suppose you could call them balanced, if you imagine a teeter-totter with a big pile of sugar on one side, and a big pile of flavorings on the other. Yep, it balances!

I see them more as transitional products. For people whose only rum experiences are the over-sweetened and flavored mixing rums like Captain Morgan, a sweetened, flavored sipping rum like Zaya or Zacapa 23 is an easy entry into the world of sippping rums. But it is not the final destination, except as a dessert liqueur.

As soon as your taste buds are up to the challenge, grab some more traditionally styled fine rums like Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton Extra, El Dorado 15, and Matusalem Gran Reserva (or some Havana Club if you're outside the USA). With less sweetness and added flavoring, the true rum characteristics can be appreciated. Then, find some Barbancourt or some AOC rhums. You will begin to understand the subtleties of fine rum.
I used to like Z23 quite a bit a few years ago but then recently when I bought a new bottle I was quite disappointed because it didn't taste as good as before - had they changed the product or had my palate evolved? Perhaps both (though they deny the first).

I would have never gone so far as to call it a pinnacle of rums however. It is a good example of the style it represents. I personally don't prefer this style over some other styles and thus for me it is nowhere near the best rum in the world. As conclusion I don't think you can even name a single product as the worlds best because of the greatly varying styles - I'm glad we can enjoy a vast range of greatly varying products.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions