MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

138 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Matusalem

Default Style?

Hoping others have a position to offer here...

Something I’ve picked up on is rum like scotch has what is known as or sometimes referred to as “styles”.

To give an idea how style plays into my own interpretation… there are those single malt whiskies that were produced in a specific region (say Highland) but in style taste more like what I’d characterize as Speyside or other regions that have their own generic “style” associated.

I think the same can be said about rum. In generalized terms, certain “styles” are often associated or attributed to specific locations or regions. It’s also fathomable that a maker can blend or bend their make to something that perhaps isn’t exactly characteristic or representative to local “style”. Hope I’m not coming off too complex or overly complicated here…

I’m curious:
  1. What is each persons’ favorite style(s).

2. Why is/are these your favorite style(s) – as in what are you using them for, specific cocktails, sipping, compliments to other goods such as cigars, certain types of foods etc.?

Note: I realize this is very loose terminology and hope some of you identify what I’m trying to get to. In some cases I’ve heard the word “style” actually inserted – “Navy Style”, “Jamaican style” etc.

In addition, to give another example, I have often heard rum enthusiasts ask questions about a rum they have not yet experienced where as they inquire something to the effect of: Does it taste like other Antigua rums, or other Dominican rums etc. -- in a way that indicates there are some at least minimally common or cross-over (general) characteristics accepted / associated with a specific production region.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
robercw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
  1. What is each persons’ favorite style(s).

2. Why is/are these your favorite style(s) – as in what are you using them for, specific cocktails, sipping, compliments to other goods such as cigars, certain types of foods etc.?
Although my experience is nowhere near most people here, I would say my favorite style is Bajan rums. I enjoy rums from all over, but I typically enjoy dark rums from Barbados the most. Mount Gay XO, Cockspur, Cockspur 12, and Doorly's XO are all on my "must have" list.

As to why these are my favorite rums, I really can't pin that down. I just like them. The flavors and the smell are what I expect rum to be. I'm sure my tastes may change over time as I experince more rum. I know I'm looking forward to my nightly "rum safari" when I hit Florida for vacation this Saturday. Maybe I will find something I haven't tried that will change my taste in rum. I certainly look forward to the hunt.

**I guess I should add that I'm primarily a sipper, but I do enjoy an occasional rum punch or mojito.

Last edited by robercw; 06-26-2008 at 09:57 AM.
robercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Rum Runner

I think I hear where you are coming from Mat. Although your first comparison using Speyside vs Highlands was a bit confusing at first. Speyside resides inside the Highlands and, I'm aware that some Northern Malts outside the Speyside are still considered as Speyside. Kind of like kissing cousins in a way.

We can agree that certain Countries of the Caribbean Basin have noted styles of rums.

Some of these styles are typical of local taste and tradition. Others are examples of demand from outside influence (read market awareness).

As an example..Puerto Rican Style Rum (with apologies to the Cuban heritage) is really consumed by Puerto Ricans. It may not be Bacardi. But it's the same style.

I'm happy to give my style preferences here..In fact I think I already have..Elsewhere in some threads.

Will you bare your style preferences here Mat to get the ball rolling?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Matusalem

Honestly I've been trying to figure what style I'd say I go with and one reason in asking others is to get an idea of what if anything makes them gravitate to specific styles at specific times. I'm sort of more a spontaneous what am I in the mood for right this minute ~ type of imbiber.

I've worked my way around experimenting or as some might say goofing off etc. and while I enjoy a cocktail / mixed concoction twice in a while, I find myself still a "sipper" for the most part. Some days I want something really sweet, others really dry. Some days I'll make a mental note that I'm going to have something of one style but by the time I'm freed up in the afternoon / evening, I've settled on and poured something totally different. Styles don't really dictate my rotation. I try to have a variety on hand to meet my spontaneous desires.

All that said - maybe I'm missing something and that's why I'm "undeclared" + asking. Help me out. . .

Great point regarding Speyside and Highland being one and the same. I chose those two because the regions described are without definable borders as you rightfully pointed out, and are basically a matter of opinion where one ends and the other begins etc.

But if you examine "style", especially from the old guard's take, there's a discernible difference between "Highland style" and typical 'Speyside' whisky. Something like Ardmore is an example that comes to mind that highlights traditional Highland style.

Last edited by Matusalem; 06-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Rum Runner

My preferences are for heavier, aged styles exemplified by Jamaica and Demerara. I also enjoy the somewhat "leaner" aged products from Cruzan, Flor de Cana, Barcelo, and Barbancourt. I'm not really sure if the last four mentioned would fit into a Jamaica or Demerara "Style".

My preference is to take my rum neat or with a few ice cubes, so the above styles suit my palate. I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but if I'm in the mood for mixing, one of the above generally works well for me also. If I need a white for mixing then I look for one with a big distinctive taste, such as Martinique Agricole.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 06-26-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Hank Koestner

This is a good thread. Myself, I like so many different rums, that I would have to say that I have favorites in every style. Once again, it would depend on my mood as to what I would drink at the time, or whether I am trying to pair a cigar. I love the French style agricoles, Demerara, Jamaican, Bajan(is it possible to place Bajan and Demerara in the same category? I am not sure).I also enjoy lighter bodied rums like Puerto Rican and Cuban style rums. I only drink a small selection of cocktails, and I do have certain rums I like better in certain cocktails over others, this is a matter of personal taste. I have found that just about all rum mixes with coconut water.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 06-29-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Bill
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
I love the French style agricloes, Demerara, Jamaican, Bajan (is it possible to place Bajan and Demerara in the same category?
I personally could not place the Demeraran rums, stylistically anyway, with the Barbadian rums. In general the Demeraran rums seem to be defined as soft, subtle and medium bodied. I've tasted both the ED 12 and 15, which are good representatives of this style. Both are fruity and smoky in their own way.

To me anyway, they are very different than Mount Gay XO, Seales 10, Doorleys and Cockspur which, for lack of a better term, seem more classic, more complex in general. Not necessarily better, but not hard to distinguish as being made in Barbados.

I like all those I mentioned, but find I always come home to either the MGXO or Seales.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Hank Koestner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I personally could not place the Demeraran rums, stylistically anyway, with the Barbadian rums. In general the Demeraran rums seem to be defined as soft, subtle and medium bodied. I've tasted both the ED 12 and 15, which are good representatives of this style. Both are fruity and smoky in their own way.

To me anyway, they are very different than Mount Gay XO, Seales 10, Doorleys and Cockspur which, for lack of a better term, seem more classic, more complex in general. Not necessarily better, but not hard to distinguish as being made in Barbados.

I like all those I mentioned, but find I always come home to either the MGXO or Seales.
Well said, Bill. after your input, I would agree they are not in the same style.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions