MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum & Cigars
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum & Cigars

Few things go together better than a glass of good rum and the right cigar, except maybe more rum.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Rx2010

Default Any pipe smokers?

I smoke cigars from time to time, but I picked up the pipe in october last year and haven't looked back.

I find the sweetness in rum compliments well with the sweeter virginia pipe tobaccos, while the alcohol helps temper the spice from perique.

Anyway, just checkin to see if anyone else partakes of the briar like me
Rx2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Thanks for bringing up an old love of mine Rx.

I have a collection of Charartan's, Ashton's, Peterson's and a few meerschaums.

I agree a good Virginia tobacco compliments a good sipping rum.

I have been a fan of the McClelland's brand tinned pipe tobaccos for a long time now.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Rx2010

McClellands certainly has some good blends, Blackwoods Flake and Beacon come to mind, as well as the Navy Cavendish which is flavored with rum.

if I get a few minutes tonight I was gonna try out my new bottle of Zaya that just arrived with some Rattray's Marlin Flake
Old 08-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
Craig_Hochscheid

I'm a longtime pipe smoker. I love English & Balkan blends; Frog Morton on the Town, Balkan Sobranie, Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium, Night Cap & Light Flake are some favorites. I love cigars as well, but rarely smoke them anymore. Cigars & cigarettes leave a bad odor in my house for days, whereas pipe smoking leaves a wondrous scent throughout the house the even my Wife loves.

cigar.gif
Craig_Hochscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Woodsy

My dad was a pipe smoker and I have many fond memories of the smell of Plumcake tobacco wafting through the house. As a boy I was quite often caught with the pouch in hand after opening it just to smell the rich fragrance.

Unfortunately, I'm not a smoker so I haven't ever tried a pipe myself. I think dad may have scared me off of it with tales of burnt lips and such. I've only ever had a handful of cigars, the most pleasant of which was the Romeo y Juliet I smoked on my wedding night.

Might have to give it a crack one day.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Rx2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
My dad was a pipe smoker and I have many fond memories of the smell of Plumcake tobacco wafting through the house. As a boy I was quite often caught with the pouch in hand after opening it just to smell the rich fragrance.

Unfortunately, I'm not a smoker so I haven't ever tried a pipe myself. I think dad may have scared me off of it with tales of burnt lips and such. I've only ever had a handful of cigars, the most pleasant of which was the Romeo y Juliet I smoked on my wedding night.

Might have to give it a crack one day.

I would never encourage someone to start smoking, but I've been at it for 10 months, and have never burned my lips, I've scorched my tongue once or twice starting up, but like anything, practice makes perfect
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
Craig_Hochscheid

I'm a longtime pipe smoker, and have a fairly large collection of of quality pipes, and have a couple dating to the early 1910's. I smoke English & Balkan blends almost exclusively, including Balkan Sobraine/Sasieni; Davidoff Royalty; Dunhill's 965, Nightcap & Standard Micture; McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town, although I also like a few flaked tobaccos as well. It's funny, when a single cigar or cigarette is smoked in our house it smell for days on end, but I can smoke a pipe all night and it just seems to add a delightful aroma to the house which my Wife loves.
Craig_Hochscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
Edge

Another pipe smoker here. I've got about 40 pipes, but I don't smoke 'em often enough (mainly due to asthmatic daughter) but when I do, I prefer a bowl full of Latakia or some dark blend in one of my Petersons and a bit of rum in a glass.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
rum-pelstiltskin

I enjoy a cigar from time to time, but prefer to smoke pipe (which I only smoke a couple times a month anyway lol). I only own 1 pipe, a viking and it seems like a very nice pipe. Lol but than most would compared to the $10 cheapo I started on

Anyway, I was looking for suggestions on pipe tobacco that would go well with spiced rums as that is what I usually drink; but also rums that would go well with a captain black type (I'm still kind of ignorant when it comes to pipes and don't know what you'd call it lol) tobacco since I already have a pouch.

Thank you in advance
rum-pelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Gecko

I would not deem myself to be a pipe smoker, however I am a fan of enjoying the last say 2 inches of a good cigar in a pipe. A friend of mine demonstrated how to get the most out of your cigar during the recession. You know that last 1 - 21/2 inches that you would normally toss... well put in the top of the pipe (just fit the ring guage into the pipe, don't mash or grind up the tobacco) and enjoy the smoke.

To me its the best of two worlds.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum & Cigars