MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1929, Destilerias Unidas S.A.C. was established in Peru.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls

What do you think, confidentially of course?

View Poll Results: What persuades you to buy a new bottle of sugar cane spirit?
Label and bottle design 20 20.20%
Story on the packaging 5 5.05%
Personal recommendation from rum-drinking friends 55 55.56%
Recommendation from liquor store sales person 16 16.16%
Advertising in magazines, billboards 1 1.01%
Recommendation from website forums like this one 77 77.78%
Brand loyalty, I'm always looking for new rums from distiller's I know 20 20.20%
I'll buy one bottle of anything just to try it 40 40.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Lew Barrett

I just voted, and see that I (like to think) that I make my decisions based on research, and in accord with the majority of those who have voted before me. I read the websites....all of them...voraciously....and then go ahead and buy based on the reviews and how that lines up with my taste as it evolves. SO far I have not been taken in solely by pretty packaging, but it's an added plus when I like something and the bottle is attractive on the shelf.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Paul C

I voted for website info. I'm just getting started and finding this board was a godsend. For now my fave is Zacapa 23 and I can tell from my reading here that as my journey continues, this will probably end up seeming a bit "manufactured" as I search for the spirits of the cane. Or maybe not…

pbc
Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
TheRumelier

I like to add any new rum to my collection, so I am prepared to try anything once. Obviously there are times when I know I am buying a bust, but it joins the others on the shelf. I like to think I have enough rum knowledge to fiqure out what I'm buying. You can't experience a rum unless you taste it. I admit there are several bottles in my collection that have not been touched. Then when somebody asks me a question about it I will go and try a sample, maybe some years later after I initially purchased it. One or two "busts" have turned into pleasant surprises. Then there are the rums I search out after hearing good things about them, on this site or others. This again can be mis-leading as everybody has their own tastes. At the end of the day, if it's rum in the bottle, it has a great chance of taking up residence in my house!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've heard you were easy Rumelier, but your approach and experience is very similar to my own. It is a rare rum that I won't try once. And like you I've had a few bottles around for a while unopened until prompted by friends to open it. And like you wrote, sometimes my instincts were confirmed but the pleasant surprises keep my accumulating more of my favorite spirit.

Years ago I was in Barbados and asked by a local reporter which was my favorite rum in the world. My reply surprised him, he was fishing for a recommendation for one of the new old rums from his island. In Barbados my favorite is the one in my glass. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger glass, sometimes not.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
Rum Runner

I don't see Rumelier (or should that be Rhummelier to reflect the obvious reference to Sommelier) as easy. Rather as curious to taste everything. I share that instinct. I HAVE to try it once at least. Good ,bad ,or indifferent.

It keeps one's palate tuned. It remains a wonderful journey. Why limit oneself by price, or bottle shape, or age statement. It's all part of the fun of discovery.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've heard you were easy Rumelier.

Years ago I was in Barbados and asked by a local reporter which was my favorite rum in the world. My reply surprised him, he was fishing for a recommendation for one of the new old rums from his island. In Barbados my favorite is the one in my glass. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger glass, sometimes not.
Don't tell my wife!!

I'm often asked the question of what is my favourite rum. I never know what to say, but your answer in Barbados always springs to mind every time I'm asked it. I was once asked by an Immigration Officer in Jamaica why I was coming to her country. I answered that I was coming for some rum training, she broke down laughing and called the other officers over to hear my story. It took me another ten minutes to get out of Immigration added onto the two hours I had already been in line!!
However, if I had a gun pointed to my head, I think I would have to say my favourite rum right now is Angostura Single Barrel Reserve. Next week it will probably be different.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
It keeps one's palate tuned. It remains a wonderful journey. Why limit oneself by price, or bottle shape, or age statement. It's all part of the fun of discovery.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I hope you have some nice surprises for Ed and I in Puerto Rico. Local knowledge always helps!!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #18
Edge

Talking

I've had some luck finding rums that I got because the label was pretty (Sailor Jerry's and even Cruzan SBE) but most others I've gotten after receiving a recommendation from a friend, fellow rum-drinker, or from sites such as MoR.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Perkeo

Send a message via Skype™ to Perkeo

I love to try new things/rums. If it sounds interesting I'll try it at least once. If I really like it I'll keep a bottle on hand to share with friends.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
guayames

I do cruise around the Caribbean a lot and also done world cruises. Wherever I see a new aged rum, I buy it and sip it with two ice cubes. I have to say that my favorites up to now are Don Q Añejo and Pyrat XO. I am looking forward to opening others I just bought and will let you know if they are any better.
guayames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls