MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

117 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
Dood

Thanks again. I'll give that a try this weekend (needed to make a trip to Hi-Times or BevMo anyway)
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
angelsword

One of the difficulties with home infusions is dealing with dilution of the alcohol. The alcohol works as a preservative against ROT. If below 40% most add LOTS of extra sugar as the preservative.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Part of the chemistry behind infusions is that alcohol is a solvent and as such dissolves the essential oils in the fruit or spice. Try using a higher proof rum and a shorter infusion time. The higher alcohol also works as a preservative without adding more sugar.

If you are planning on making an infusion of, say, clove, ginger and cinnamon, you should try making three infusions and then blending them to get the desired balance in the final product. You may hit the perfect balance once but there are a lot of variables that make repeatability extremely difficult. Freshness of each of the spices, surface area of each spice or fruit, temperature and time are just some of the variables which must be maintained.

Jim at Grammercy Tavern in New York has done a lot of experimentation with infusions and serves a wonderful Spiced Rum Swizzle at the bar made with 100 proof Neisson Rhum Agricole Blanc. I can't tell you all the tricks, but blending several infusions is one of the things he's shared with me.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #14
angelsword

I have found that some infusions take quite while to peak. I did a series of tamarind infusions and found the BEST results took a full year. This actually comes to another place from a standard infusion, IE. leeching of flavor. At a certain point what I am counting on is the chemical reaction between the acids of the tamarind and the ethanol. In essence it may become (requires soft oxygenation) a tamarind AGED rum instead of an oak aged rum.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
Rum Runner

Angelsword...What exactly do you mean by "Soft Oygenation" I am no chemist..but...I would think that that interaction between the tamarind acid and ethanol is reductive.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Angelsword...What exactly do you mean by "Soft Oygenation" I am no chemist..but...I would think that that interaction between the tamarind acid and ethanol is reductive.
All aging also requires some oxidation of the compounds between alcohols and acids. If oak casks didn't breathe...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #17
angelsword

Rum Runner, I am guessing that you will also be one of the judges at the competition. If so then I'll bring a small bottle of the tamarind rum for personal sampling outside of the competition.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
Hank Koestner

I really wish I was going to the Comp. this year, so I could meet all of you and speak with those of you who distill and create your own rums. I am off on vacation on the 23rd, so I have to work that weekend. Well, there is always next year, and I will not miss the next one!!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Angelsword...What exactly do you mean by "Soft Oxygenation" I am no chemist..but...I would think that that interaction between the tamarind acid and ethanol is reductive.
Here's something from "The Manufacture of Spirit as Conducted in the Distilleries of the UK" by J.A.Nettleton, 1893......

On the maturation of whisky...The raw spirit is placed in a tall cylinder and a current of air or oxygen under pressure of one or two atmospheres, is forced through the spirit. The operation extending intermittently for ten days. The raw spirit is alleged to acquire a mellowness of three to five years bonding. These process help to rid the whisky of off flavours and helps smooth the taste.... The new whisky is placed in a small vat and alternate currants of hot and cold air are passed through.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
Fabio

I am wondering how the Orange Licquor from Santa Teresa is made. I guess they use natural orange peel (maybe dry) and probably some extra sugar or syrup but this is considered a licquor..very different from a flavored rum...am i right?
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas