MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

105 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
curiouscats

Default New and looking for help finding smooth, buttery, sweet sipping rum

Hello. I'm from New York and found the Ministry of Rum through the Rum Howler Blog.

I've recently gotten into trying different rums but my spouse and local friends don't drink, or only drink wine. We have a friend couple up in New England who enjoy rum and other liquors, but I see them only once per year. So I'm buying and tasting rums all on my own. I'm also only an occasional drinker so it takes me a while to go through a bottle.

I'm trying to find what type of rums I like the most and looking for help with that. The reviews on Rum Howler help a lot but, since I don't have as developed a palate or perhaps just different preferences, some of the rums I've bought I haven't enjoyed. They'll probably be given to our New England friends instead.

Unfortunately it's an expensive endeavor so far and somewhat disappointing since the majority of rums I've tried I haven't liked. They're usually too strong, almost more whiskey like. Or they just have a taste I don't enjoy. I think I prefer smoother, buttery, sweeter sipping rums.

So far my favorite has to be the El Dorado 12 Year. That has the sort of flavor I'm looking for. I also really like the Pusser's 15 Year Nelson's Blood that my New England friends have. I'm hoping they'll get me a bottle when I visit next. I somewhat liked the Appleton 12 Year also. I find it to be a clean tasting rum, but I have to mix it with tropical juices as I don't enjoy it straight like the El Dorado 12. I prefer a rum I can sip straight so I may give away the Appleton 12 as well.

Based on amazing reviews, I splurged on the El Dorado 21 and am very disappointed actually. It's far too strong a burn for my taste and, honestly, not as good as the 12. I'm sure my New England friends will be glad for the $100 bottle, unfortunately for me.

I also bought the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva expecting amazing things based on all the reviews I've read, and because it's supposed to be a sweeter rum. I don't like it at all. It has a sort of cola type flavor that really puts me off. I'm sure it'd be wonderful in a Cuba Libre but I don't care much for those.

I bought the Pusser's Blue Label as well but haven't opened it as the reviews aren't quite as good as the other rums I've purchased. It looks like it might just be a mixing rum instead of a sipping rum.

If mixing a rum, I'd rather it be with other liquers like Grand Marnier or Disaronno, citrus like lemon or lime, or tropical juices like pineapple. I prefer simple cocktails.

I've been considering buying the Zacapa 23 and/or Zaya Gran Reserva. Mostly because reviews state they are a sweeter rums. But I'm loathe to drop another bunch of money on two more rums I end up not liking either. I don't quite have money to splurge often with but am willing to spend money on something I end up really enjoying.

Age and price don't seem to equal best quality as far as meeting my preference. I want a really fantastic sipping rum and am fine with spending a little more if it's worth it.
curiouscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Berbician

Welcome to the forums.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
curiouscats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
Welcome to the forums.
Thank you!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
curiouscats

Default New and looking for help finding smooth, buttery, sweet sipping rum

I picked up a couple more rums to try. It's been fun tasting what's out there and the different types. I never knew there were so many. It's hard not to want to buy more. Although since I'm the only one drinking them and I don't drink a lot, and don't like to drink to get drunk because it's really about the flavors, I don't want to have too many bottles sitting around. It's also fairly limited what I can get at the liquor stores so I may have to consider buying online.

I now have the Zacapa 23 and Plantation 20th too, that I quite like. I picked up Zaya 12 also but that's too sweet even for me. I retried the El Dorado 21 and the Appleton 12 again and, weirdly, have a better appreciation for them now already. It's interesting how tastes change from day to day, and from what might've been eaten that day, etc. The jury's still out on the Diplomatico Exclusiva. I keep trying it and taste a little less of the cola flavor.

I'm also interested in trying simple cocktails with the rums. Are there any other liquors or whatnot that people here like mixing or any other things I should consider having on hand? So far Grand Marnier and Disaronno have each been delicious additions to the rum.

So, I'm pleased with my collection so far. In order of preference:

El Dorado 21 Year
El Dorado 12 Year
Ron Zacapa Solero 23
Plantation 20th Anniversary Barbados
Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 Year
Pusser's Navy 15 Year
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
Zaya 12 (don't like or recommend)

I had Pusser's Navy Blue Label and Kirk & Sweeney 12 Year as well but didn't like either.

I like smooth, slightly sweet, buttery rums. I'm open to suggestions of other rums to try. I enjoy sipping rum neat or with a bit of ice, or in simple premium cocktails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscats View Post
Hello. I'm from New York and found the Ministry of Rum through the Rum Howler Blog.

I've recently gotten into trying different rums but my spouse and local friends don't drink, or only drink wine. We have a friend couple up in New England who enjoy rum and other liquors, but I see them only once per year. So I'm buying and tasting rums all on my own. I'm also only an occasional drinker so it takes me a while to go through a bottle.

I'm trying to find what type of rums I like the most and looking for help with that. The reviews on Rum Howler help a lot but, since I don't have as developed a palate or perhaps just different preferences, some of the rums I've bought I haven't enjoyed. They'll probably be given to our New England friends instead.

Unfortunately it's an expensive endeavor so far and somewhat disappointing since the majority of rums I've tried I haven't liked. They're usually too strong, almost more whiskey like. Or they just have a taste I don't enjoy. I think I prefer smoother, buttery, sweeter sipping rums.

So far my favorite has to be the El Dorado 12 Year. That has the sort of flavor I'm looking for. I also really like the Pusser's 15 Year Nelson's Blood that my New England friends have. I'm hoping they'll get me a bottle when I visit next. I somewhat liked the Appleton 12 Year also. I find it to be a clean tasting rum, but I have to mix it with tropical juices as I don't enjoy it straight like the El Dorado 12. I prefer a rum I can sip straight so I may give away the Appleton 12 as well.

Based on amazing reviews, I splurged on the El Dorado 21 and am very disappointed actually. It's far too strong a burn for my taste and, honestly, not as good as the 12. I'm sure my New England friends will be glad for the $100 bottle, unfortunately for me.

I also bought the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva expecting amazing things based on all the reviews I've read, and because it's supposed to be a sweeter rum. I don't like it at all. It has a sort of cola type flavor that really puts me off. I'm sure it'd be wonderful in a Cuba Libre but I don't care much for those.

I bought the Pusser's Blue Label as well but haven't opened it as the reviews aren't quite as good as the other rums I've purchased. It looks like it might just be a mixing rum instead of a sipping rum.

If mixing a rum, I'd rather it be with other liquers like Grand Marnier or Disaronno, citrus like lemon or lime, or tropical juices like pineapple. I prefer simple cocktails.

I've been considering buying the Zacapa 23 and/or Zaya Gran Reserva. Mostly because reviews state they are a sweeter rums. But I'm loathe to drop another bunch of money on two more rums I end up not liking either. I don't quite have money to splurge often with but am willing to spend money on something I end up really enjoying.

Age and price don't seem to equal best quality as far as meeting my preference. I want a really fantastic sipping rum and am fine with spending a little more if it's worth it.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions