MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

171 years ago in 1846, Ypióca Agroindustrial Ltda was established in Brazil.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
jumpman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I'm not so sure I'd recommend Appleton 12 as a sipping rum for newbies, unless they're coming from a whiskey background. Top-shelf mixer? Definitely. One of the best I've had, in fact. Sipper? Not so sure. YMMV

I'll put in a good word for Zacapa 23, Havana Club 7, and R.L. Seale's 10.
I have a bottle of Zacapa 23 Solera that I'm hoping to open soon, but the HC7 and RL Seale 10 I have yet to enjoy. Thanks for the imput
jumpman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
jmkeary

If you ever get to oregon you are welcome to stop by and try both. I have them in my collection along with 150 other varieties

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
jumpman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkeary View Post
If you ever get to oregon you are welcome to stop by and try both. I have them in my collection along with 150 other varieties

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sounds good, Thank you for the invitation... I haven't made it to Oregon yet in my life, but I also didn't have 150 varieties of reasons like I do now... Thanks again
jumpman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #14
jacko

I picked up my first bottle of rum ever, an Appleton 12 year old. When I opened it and had some, I must say I was a bit dissapointed because it tasted so much like bourbon. I don't know what I was expecting, having no previous experience with aged rum. It was a bit confusing. I thought it would be completely different than anything else I had before.

When I tried it again a few days later, I started liking it more. It tasted less like a bourbon. The aromas made more "sense", the taste and mouth feel stood out more. I have to say this has a thick syrupy mouth feel, unlike any whisky I've had. I guess it will take me time to appreciate the differences between whisky and this. It is an acquired taste.

Does all aged rum, including agricoles, taste like whisky, more or less? because of the ex-bourbon barrel ageing?
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #15
SeldomSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
....Does all aged rum, including agricoles, taste like whisky, more or less? because of the ex-bourbon barrel ageing?
No. Especially the sweetened aged Rums. They'll likely get you hooked on Rum. They're immediately approachable to newbies. Unsweetened Rums like the Appleton 12yr. you have lean a bit more to the dryer whiskey side, but still taste like a Rum to most of us. Put it away and come back to it later after you have experienced other aged rums. Over time and with more experience, you may start to find the sweet Rums a bit cloying and start to transition toward the dryer, less sweet styles and appreciate the Appleton 12 more.

Agricole Rhum is an animal unto itself and in my opinion is a largely acquired taste. I hated it at first, now my favorite cocktail is the Ti Punch ..... once I found Agricoles that were more approachable to entry level adventurers like myself. There are many helpful old posts on the Ministry about Agricoles so check them out.

But forget all your 1st impressions. There's no substitute for experimentation, experience and time. And your palate will probably continue to evolve as you go. So sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #16
jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I'm not so sure I'd recommend Appleton 12 as a sipping rum for newbies, unless they're coming from a whiskey background. Top-shelf mixer? Definitely. One of the best I've had, in fact. Sipper? Not so sure. YMMV

I'll put in a good word for Zacapa 23, Havana Club 7, and R.L. Seale's 10.

I saw the Havana Club 7 at a bar, and had to taste it. It is an entry level sipper. It has a nice aroma, good taste, and a sweet finish. It isn't whisky-like, confirmed by its sugar cane sweet finish. But it lacks the complexity of Appleton 12. I guess this is where the years of maturation make their mark.
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
yellowbird

How about the plantation 1998 Guadeloupe as an agricole sipper?
yellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
SlowRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
I saw the Havana Club 7 at a bar, and had to taste it. It is an entry level sipper. It has a nice aroma, good taste, and a sweet finish. It isn't whisky-like, confirmed by its sugar cane sweet finish. But it lacks the complexity of Appleton 12. I guess this is where the years of maturation make their mark.
R. L. Seale's 10-Year it is, then. I'll also put in a good word for La Hechicera.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
gdsmit1

Being new I can't really add much. I've been seeing R.L. Seale 10 year mentioned a lot lately. I'll have to see if I can track this one down.
gdsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions