MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

152 years ago in 1865, Destileria Serralles, Inc. was established in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #271
Heliumiami

Default Glad to be here!

I'm originally from Miami but currently live in Tampa, FL. I'm very new to rum, having spent more time exploring Scotch, American whiskies, and Amari. I have no interest in "party-drinks" but have come to learn that there is a whole world of "sippable" Rum/Rhum and I have a desire to learn and sip more.
Heliumiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #272
roganjosh

Default New User Intro

Hi
My name is Josh, I'm from Bundaberg, Australia. I run a hotel that currently stocks close to 200 different rums.
I joined to help broaden my knowledge of the spirit.
roganjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #273
yellowbird

Default Aloha!

Got into rum via Brother Cleve back in Boston in the early 2000s. This forum is an amazing, amazing resource (thanks Ed!) and I am thankful for it.

My story: I bartended in Boston, helped Cleve kickstart a tiki renaissance up there. I was on the tiki circuit way back when. Now I'm in Hawaii.

I no longer actively tend bar, except for helping out at an occasional USBG special event. My favorite rums are Rhum Bologne (Guadeloupe), Rhum Neisson (any of them), Batavia Arrack, El Dorado 21 or 25, Old Monk (thanks Cleve), Germana, and the Santo Antao grogues. Of course there are plenty more, but these do just fine for most cases. Shout-out for KoHana.
yellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #274
Jagsroy

Default Hello from Montreal

Newbie with the Ministry of Rum.

While in Barbados in 2011 and 2012, my wife and I toured St-Nicholas Abbey as well Mount Gay distilleries and as a vodka drinker, I recalled my initial reaction to the tasting of St-Nicholas Abbey's rum, which was incredible. As a result I purchased a bottle of 8yr, as well as a 12 yr Rum from St-Nicholas Abbey which remained unopened until last week.

My drink of choice to date has been vodka which I drink neat and my favorites include Stoli Elit, Absolut Elyx and Beluga vodkas. Recently I opened and sipped on my 8 yr old Rum from St-Nicholas Abbey and it imediately brought me back to my first tastings of this product and I decided to delve into the world of aged rums. I have since sampled my 12 yr St-Nicholas Abbey rum as well as a Santa Teresa 1796 solera rum.

From my limited knowledge of rum distillation it is my understanding that rum made from sugarcane juice differs slightly from that made from its by-product, molasses. The overwhelming sensation (smell and taste) of molasses in the Santa Teresa 1796 rum was very enjoyable although quite different from those from St-Nicholas Abbey rums, which I prefer. As such, I would dare to say that I am less fond of sweeter rums than those similar to St-Nicholas Abbey rums with oak flavours.

My questions are:

1. Is Rum/Rhum made from sugarcane juice better / tastier than those made from molasses? In which way do they differ?
2. Which sugarcane based Rum/Rhum with oakey flavours would you recommand I try?
3. Which molasses based Rums with oakey flavours would you suggest I try?
Jagsroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions