MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

122 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #71
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Hi Van Patt.

Sorry to here that the result was not as you intended. I think maybe the anejo blancos are just not strong enough in flavour to handle the port.

Hopefully your next trial will be better.

And Dood:

Don't leave it for three months without checking. I recommend tasting the rum every three to four days after the eighth week so as to catch the spirit at its peak.
Thanks for the tip!
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #72
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Just bottled my latest creation.

I have to make a label for it, so I need a cool name. Maybe suggestions from our esteemed membership based upon this info:

1) I blended 750 ml of Lambs 151 proof with 500 ml of Cockspur 12 yr old.

2) I had the blend in the barrel for about 4 weeks when I noticed the flavour really spiked so that was when I bottled it. (4 week marriage in oak)

3) While bottling I added 150 ml of distilled water to bring the Alcohol content down to about 50%. (so 100 proof Approx)

4) The Cask had for the last year been used to blend various assortments of slightly peated scotches. Although I washed the cask thoroughly, and twice left hot water in for a week, the cask still imparted a whisper of peat into my rum.

So in summary I guess I am asking:

"What do you get when a Cock(spur) marries an overproof Lamb, in a peated oak barrel?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #73
black_strap

Folks, I've finally poured the Cruzan Estate Light into the barrel that previously housed rye whiskey. I decided to not flush it with any water; I want a strong-flavored final product. If it becomes overwhelmed, oh well.

You can read about it here.

http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com/20...-2-part-1.html

Cheers!

http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #74
Coastie Mike

Well, I decided to just use mason jars and wood chips. The wood chips are from used bourbon barrels. I used Bacardi Silver, 6ox wood chips, and a tahiti vanilla bean. We shall see how it goes. I tried making some spiced rum...let me just say, a little ginger goes a loonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg way.
Coastie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #75
Edward Hamilton
Founder

As previously mentioned, I love ginger-flavored rums and make my own ginger syrup on my boat. But as you know a little goes a long way so make ginger rum and then add a little to another blend and you can control the amount of ginger in the final product.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #76
ammymorcle

Interesting post.
ammymorcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #77
Ken Zakreski

Default tobacco and

Enjoyed this thread immensely.

I have a cask destined to flavour rum, repurposed in Tequila, American Oak bourbon barrel, medium toast, sherry cure and seasoning. The cask is seasoning now.

I would like to approach the flavour profile of a rum (see below) I really enjoy and have trouble finding and affording, the 20 year Macombo.

I found some help on acheiving the tobacco flavour. Which might work for rum. http://wineoscope.com/2016/03/11/tra...aged-brandies/

Any idea on how to get the leather flavours in there?

Ken

From https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-rev...nos-anejo-rum/
The Ron Mocambo 20-year-old rum is distilled by Licores Veracruz, S.A. de C.V. According to their website the 20-year-old edition which I sampled is called The Art Edition. The Art Edition is a throwback style of rum which uses old techniques of production, and then combines those techniques with modern aging to produce an aged rum of unique taste and character.

In the mouth, the rum feels old and tastes aged. The old wooden casks have been allowed to set their mark firmly into the flavour profile. There is a soft mild leathery (tobacco?) bitterness; but, this is a mild approachable bitterness of older wood tannins, and earthy smoke. Whispers of ripe freshly cut cocoa bean and Oolong tea set vague impressions of their presence into the rum but do not try to overwhelm it. Caramel accents are far back in the flavour profile, sitting behind the old woody tannins, and leathery tobacco smokiness. Yet… that whisper of caramel sweetness is not lost. Even in its minimized form, it acts to support the other flavours allowing that mellow bitterness to become more than it was.
Ken Zakreski is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions