Thread: Los Angeles, CA
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I was surprised there wasn't a thread for LA. Did I just miss it?

Anyway, I'm originally from Los Angeles. I know some in LA probably miss the old Trader Vic's (the new ones are a bit too corporate and mainstream from what I've heard), Don the Beachcomber's, and Steve Crane's The Luau, but I wasn't around to experience them unfortunately.

A little bar I ran across on the internet was Tiki Ti. It's a small, family-owned and operated place which I'm definitely going to check out when I visit home. Anyone been? Apparently it's been around since 1961 in one guise or another. The only thing that's off-putting is that they allow smoking (although I'm not sure how this works since it's outlawed in LA), but this may be appealing to those that like to pair a pipe or cigar to their drink (not me).
http://www.tiki-ti.com/pages/home.html

Apparently a new place called Luau just opened in Beverly Hills inspired by the old one from back in the day. It's more of an upscale bar/restaurant that one would expect to find in Beverly Hills.
Link#1
more info

I'll check out both places when I can and let you guys know what I find out.
Tiki Ti is very well-known here on the forums. Great rum selection, great drinks, but get there EARLY and avoid Wednesdays - the Tiki Central forum people show up on Wednesdays and fill the place up.

I tried out Luau a few weeks ago. The drinks are fantastic - the drink menu being developed by Jeff "Beachbum" Berry. The mai tai was one of the best I've had. Their rum selection is, well, better than most places, but nothing phenomenal. I wouldn't call this a tiki bar so much as a polynesian-themed restaurant/bar with upscale tiki-style drinks.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote