Thread: Rum in a barrel
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
az1919

Default Rum in a barrel

First off, new guy here. I do enjoy rum and it appears that this is the place to come for information. I asked a question a couple of years ago on some other rum forum that had almost zero hits and my question went unanswered.

Is there a way to buy a barrel of rum? I would prefer Appleton but any quality dark rum would interest me. A collectors or limited edition of 5 or 10 gallons would be ideal (to keep cost reasonable). Maybe it is just me, but I would like to say, "I buy my rum by the barrel".

The closest I can find is the do it yourself kit at 1000oaksbarrel.com. My understating is rum is usually placed in used whiskey barrels and these new barrels would age rum differently than real rum barrels.

While typing this it occurred to me to ask if anyone has used a new oak barrel to store their rum? If so, did it age the rum favorably?

I wanted to ask this question in the Appleton thread but when I log in the thread disappears and when I return to it through my cache it says I cannot access the page.
az1919 is offline   Reply With Quote