View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Cosarica!

Default New Jersey Coast Guard Stations and Rumrunners

Off the Bookshelf

Hola Amigos y Amigas,

Last summer I found a little gem of a book on Prohibition Era rum-running in New Jersey/New York, USA. This read will surely be of interest to some fellow rum connoisseurs. And though someone else may have mentioned it previously, being that it came out in 2004, allow me to revisit the title: New Jersey Coast Guard Stations and Rumrunners, by maritime historians Van R. Field and John J. Galluzo (full bibliography below). It is a wonderful book—easy, fun and fascinating. You’ll discover lots about the floating Rum Row, the rumrunners themselves and their vessels, and the early years of the USCG as a law-enforcement agency. You’ll even learn the origin of the American slang term, “the real McCoy,” which was originally a hooch idiom. The little book is lavishly illustrated with black and white archival photos from the private collection of the late Capt. Eugene Osborn, USCG. I purchased the book in-store and new for $19.99 plus tax. Ciao!

Field, Van R. and Galluzo, John J. New Jersey Coast Guard Stations and Rumrunners. (Images of America Series by Arcadia Publishing, 2004), 127 pp. ISBN 0-7385-3591-5
Cosarica! is offline   Reply With Quote