View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
The Rum Ambassador

Default My mini Rum Tour.

Hi guys. I’ve just come back from an amazing rum tour of the Caribbean (This includes the Coral Gables, Miami as well...Thanks for looking after me Mr Burr. You're a legend, and I'm voting for you for MAYOR.)
I started in Jamaica with an interview with Master blender of Appleton Joy Spence. I twisted her arm to give me a quarter bottle of 30 year old. (YES).Then it was on to do the touristy Appleton Estate Tour. (Still an excellent experience. Next was Antigua Distilleries where they gave me the VIP tour, and a taste of their new 1981 distilled 25 year old. You'll be seeing that on the shelves any day now, but it's in VERY LIMITED SUPPLY. Then it was on to St. Lucia to interview Laurie Barnard of St. Lucia Distilleries. (Hey Ed. Laurie says Hi...) They have just launched all their rums in the UK. (FINALLY) Thanks to meetings with set up at RumFest London. After two days in the land of Bounty/Chairman’s/Elements 8, I flew to Grenada where I visited the blenders at Westerhall. (A real life rum museum) and the distillers at Clarke’s Court. (Managed to find a 1977 Jubilee bottle of Clarke’s Court white rum in a 1919 shaped bottle). Next was Trinidad. Didn’t get to meet up with John Georges, master distiller from Angostura, but was taken bar hopping by the Angostura reps. And finally, Puerto Rico where Bacardi opened my eyes and palate to total rum efficiency. Jose Gomez, process manager and blender for Bacardi has to be one of the most passionate men I’ve ever met in the industry. The Casa Bacardi is a must if you ever visit the island. You might not get to see some of the hidden secrets that I was shown, (Unless you’re name is ED) but the distillery tour is worth every penny…..Wait a minute. It’s free to visit.

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote