View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
Today is an important day in the history of the "New World" as the majority of countries in the region "celebrate" Columbus' discovery of the West Indies. But is it a day we should celebrate?
That's a good question, and one which will provoke different answers from different people. I must say I'm somewhat reluctant to respond to this - especially on a rum forum - for fear of offending somebody, but since the question has been posed I feel it's ok to answer it.

There is no doubt that European colonization of the Caribbean and Americas is one of the most shameful episodes in human history, but there's not much we can do with the past except learn from it.

When I lived in Spain I was angered by the fact that the face of Hernбn Cortйs, a man responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Aztecs, was on Spanish banknotes. This man is viewed as a hero in Spain, but it just served to remind me that one man's hero is another man's villain. For a modern example, see Fidel - a villain in the eyes of many Americans, but a hero for much of the rest of the world.

Columbus is rightly given legendary status for what he achieved in nautical terms, and he should never be considered responsible for the actions of those who came after him. Even so, it is understandable why many would be reluctant to celebrate a day named after him. Having said all that though, most of the people on this forum would not be here today if it wasn't for this man changing the path of history in the way which he did.

This is all probably a little too serious for a rum forum, so I'll stop there and get back to thinking about going on holiday tomorrow.

Where am I going, you may ask? Well, somewhat ironically, I'm going to a place formerly called Tenochtitlan, now known as Mexico City!

I'll be on the lookout for the Mocambo 20 yr Art Edition!
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote