View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
Joe: I had the opportunity to attend the Beam sponsored launch of this new rum about a month ago in lower Manhattan. If you need more info, I can hook you up with the Beam team based in Chicago. Never a fan of spiced rum especially Captain Morgan, after 3 or 4 expertly prepared cocktails by the mixologists at Pain Killer, I soon became an aficionnado.
Thank you kindly Beam Global has a D.C. office, but the guy that I needed to speak to wasn't in yesterday (he actually lives about a mile or so from my store) I'll just drop him an email.

Yeah, Captain Morgan is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's a decent enough "starter" rum, or entry-level rum, for someone to get their feet wet in the rum world, but at the same time, it's only 70-proof and not really representative of what better rums are like. I've made a lot of converts from Captain Morgan to Sailor Jerry (92-pf), and my customers can't believe what a MUCH better rum the Sailor Jerry's is.

I could be completely wrong, but I see a lot more interest these days in spiced rum than in flavored rums (i.e., coconut, pineapple, orange, etc..) With the strong debut of The Kraken, and Brinley Gold "Shipwreck" Spiced Rum, and a few others (even Heaven Hill's "Blackheart"), this looks like the category for growth opportunity in rum. Either that, or everyone just wants a piece of Captain Morgan's market.