View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Tiare

Default Grapefruit Bitters

I started a batch of Grapefruit bitters yesterday (using pink grapefruit) and here is the recipe (Gumbopages):

GRAPEFRUIT BITTERS

* One 750ml bottle Wray & Nephew Overproof White Rum (126 proof)
* 2 large grapefruits
* 1-1/2 heaping tablespoons coriander seed
* 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch on each side
* 1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
* 6 tablespoon sugar
* 3 tablespoons water

Peel the grapefruits and finely chop the whole peel, including (and especially) the white pith; that's where you're going to get most of your bitter component for these bitters. Peel, thinly slice and then julienne the ginger, and roughly chop the cashews.

In a large jar with a rubber seal, add the grapeferuit peel, coriander seed, ginger and cashews and pour in the rum. Seal and keep for one week, gently agitating the mixture daily.

After a week of maceration, strain the mixture through a fine sieve and then again through a coffee filter. Finish the recipe by adding caramelized sugar syrup -- place the sugar in a small, heavy pan and heat over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns light-to-medium brown (be careful not to burn it). Remove from the heat and carefully add the water. Stir and/or swirl until all the sugar has dissolved. Add the syrup to the bitters and let stand until it's clear, then bottle for use.

Tomorrow i`m going to make a kaffir lime syrup. (can`t really stay away from those syrups...)

I also made a batch of another recipe which in my opinion is more of a Grapefruit bitter campari flavored syrup, but instead of vodka i used the JW&N overproof. Anyway, whether you call it grapefruit bitters or bitter syrup it tastes good.

RECIPE

These homemade bitters combine grapefruit with Campari, JW&N 151, and vermouth for a sweet, tart, and very bitter concoction.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 medium grapefruit
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup Campari
* 1 cup JW&N 151
* 3/4 cup sweet vermouth

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Halve grapefruit. Juice one half, reserve juice, and discard rind. Coarsely chop remaining half and reserve.
2. Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, and let syrup simmer until it thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chopped grapefruit and cook until grapefruit releases all its juice, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Combine cooled grapefruit syrup (including chopped fruit), reserved juice, Campari, W&N 151, and sweet vermouth in a large container with a tight-fitting lid. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 03-30-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote