View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Vintage rhums from Martinique aren't generally labeled as such every year. There were a lot of these labeled 1979, which as you might recall was a very bad year for the economy, but it was a good year for rhum production on Martinique. So there was an overabundance of rhum and a shortage of buyers. By labeling the rhum a vintage year, and raising the price, distillers were able to recoup some of their losses down the road.

I have a several old vintages of Martinique rhum but the important thing to remember is that most aren't aged more than 4 or 6 years unless they are labeled as such. On some of these bottles there is a date code on the closure.

I've seen old Martinique rhums priced at more than $3000, not that they were selling, but priced so because they can't be replaced. As distillers make changes to their still, or the companies are bought out, there are inevitable changes in the product, but older isn't always better. I'm holding on to my unopened bottles of old rhum for a day when I need the money and the price is right to sell.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote